2 Stroke mix ratios. Is more more

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I have found that it does.. Even in my 4 strokes. For 2 strokes, it works well to add more oil. I like to mix 25:1 even in my race bikes. Factory says 32:1. I am no expert on the mixing subject, but I have done a lot of research over the past 45 years or so.. And I have found that adding more 2 stroke oil works well until you get to around 18:1 and then it begins to deter performance. When I was younger, we mixed 44:1 and 50:1 typically. But now that the oils have changed, the mix ratio seems to be more. Also. I have found that running premix in my 4 strokes also adds power. Not sure why and can only postulate. I have read that adding 2 stroke oil lowers octane. My guess is that adding pre mix to my 4 stroke raises compression. This would be my best guess as to why it makes more power in my 4 strokes. I have a customer that has a Titan 4 stroke and came by my home shop and had run low on gas. I filled him up with Pre mix. He was puzzled and asked if it would hurt anything. I told him no, been doing it for 30 years now in my 4 stroke motors.. So.. He allowed me .. And away he went. Called me a few days later and said Wow !!! That stuff really makes power !! It is true. He too agreed that it may be because it adds compression to the 4 strokes..

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Dax is far more knowledgeable than I...

I agree that pre-mix will do no harm when run in a 4 cycle motor.

I would never run more than 30:1, and usually somewhere around 40 or 50:1.

Too much oil actually makes the engine run leaner.

One day I will run the Opti2 at it's 100:1 recommended mix. and expect more power and a cleaner burn.

...I would NOT follow the engine mfg advisory.
Follow the oil mfg advisory...
ALL oils made today are far superior than old oils used at the thick mixes.

IMO
rc

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Run whatever you're comfortable with, it's your engine & your decision. It is however a fact that excessively rich oil fuel mixtures can cause eventual harm to both two and four strokes. While you may see a temporary gain, it is also true it will always result in a preformance loss - it just takes some time & mileage as it's a cumulative effect.

More is not always better.

More heat
More fouled plugs
More stuck rings
More carbon & unspent oil deposits
More smoke, more dripping & just more oil to buy

If you find you gain preformance by running such a heavy premix as 18-25:1 in a two or four stroke you may wish to consider that there's something wrong or could be improved with your tuning, such as maladjusted valves, scored cylinder, worn rings, and/or an incorrect fuel/air mixture. You can gain compression without the disadvantages of excessive oil with any number of mods, the simplest being a thinner head gasket.

Simply put, there's not much energy content in two stroke oil, nor is it particularly volatile as it's a lubricant, not a fuel - so if your replacing that much of the gasoline with oil does it really make any sense to expect a preformance increase? If you do gain one, wouldn't it be better achieved through other means?

If you insist on running such ratios anyway, you may want to investigate products such as this: Ring Free Plus

Last edited:

landuse

Nov 21, 2011
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Run whatever you're comfortable with, it's your engine & your decision. It is however a fact that excessively rich oil fuel mixtures can cause eventual harm to both two and four strokes. While you may see a temporary gain, it is also true it will always result in a preformance loss - it just takes some time & mileage as it's a cumulative effect.

More is not always better.

More heat
More fouled plugs
More stuck rings
More carbon & unspent oil deposits
More smoke, more dripping & just more oil to buy

If you find you gain preformance by running such a heavy premix as 18-25:1 in a two or four stroke you may wish to consider that there's something wrong or could be improved with your tuning, such as maladjusted valves, scored cylinder, worn rings, and/or an incorrect fuel/air mixture. You can gain compression without the disadvantages of excessive oil with any number of mods, the simplest being a thinner head gasket.

Simply put, there's not much energy content in two stroke oil, nor is it particularly volatile as it's a lubricant, not a fuel - so if your replacing that much of the gasoline with oil does it really make any sense to expect a preformance increase? If you do gain one, wouldn't it be better achieved through other means?

If you insist on running such ratios anyway, you may want to investigate products such as this: Ring Free Plus
Thanks BarelyAwake. That definately gives me something to think about