Build 2: My Rack Mount is Evolving

GoldenMotor.com

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Hi.

Got another bike, got another motor.

Found a super cheap new Schwinn southport and another 2.5hp Tecumseh motor.

My first bike was direct drive with a clutch lever lifting the motor off the wheel, this time I wanted to rig up a cable to a brake lever on the handlebars, and conjured up a pivoting rack-within-a-rack type deal, using an old T.V. hanging bracket and lawnmower parts. And an old dead Murray mtn bike.

Its looking quite promising so far!

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
The part holding the main rack to the frame is some kind of front-axle bike holder thingy, cost me twenty one dollars, but sure looks cool!

It's aluminum, tho, hope it holds up.

Here's the motor mounted, still hafta do some tweakin, tho

I want to incorporate a usable rack into it too. I have a few ideas, but we shall see what's do-able, and cheap.

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Another view

I need to hook up all the cables and whatnot, also have to switch carbs with the motor i blew up, this one wont stay runnin unless I keep pumpin the primer, its prolly the diaphram.

I can't wait to see how it runs! Pedaling it, you cannot feel that motor back there at all! This bike is WAAY cushier and more stable feeling than that old ten-speed.

And the more I look at this rack, the more convinced I am that I can make it a dual roller two-speed transmission, or maybe one can be a rain roller

It would be a tight fit for sure, but maybe possible!

But for the moment I wanna see how it runs how it is

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Very nice clean build! The two speed looks workable. Why not just run them off the same belt on the same side? You could spring load it in high, with the clutch lever pulling it down to the low gear roller for take off. Neutral would be somewhere in the middle of the lever pull. Could use a lock pin in that position for starting and pedaling. Keep us posted!

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Thanks, C2!!

Yes, yes you have it almost exactly how I envision it, except I want the spring load low and lever pull high, with n in the middle.

Reasons are I will probly have it low speed most of the time and there is more room in the rack for a bigger roller, I got a couple 3" hockey pucks that would fit right in.

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Thanks!

Yep, it's a motor out of a snowblower, at a glance I thought it was another Toro Snowmaster, like my first build, but while tearing it down I noticed it is a Simplicity Snowbuster. Which is funny, cuz the Toro was simpler, though both are the same basic design

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Then I made the 'legs' going from the motor mount to axle adjustable

and added a tension spring (from a futon) and turnbuckle

my temporary exhaust

throttle and kill switch

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Air cleaner made out of a Parmesan cheese shaker

Muffler made from a martini shaker, and temporary gas tank

this muffler has a standard pipe thread muffler inside of it, sounds like a moped now

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
I have a couple of 1.5 inch bmx pegs as rollers, one I glued a strip of 60grit sanding belt to for use in rain/snow, it grips GREAT, but very quickly sands the tread off when dry

My first test rides were on snow covered streets, but it performed well!

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Added a springer fork, and got a few rides on it now, smooooth!! I have some roller slip issues, may have to make a new clutch linkage, and I have to adjust the carb a bit, but this thing rides awesome!!! I wanna get it running good like this before i start tinkering with the two-speed idea

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Great engineering! The sanding belt roller grip is about as good as you could want in the wet, and the wear isnt too bad until things dry out as you discovered. I always carry mine along on real long rides just in case. Love the muffler and airfilter! Please if you havent cut the metal extending over the tank do so. Could do some real damage if you went over backwards! You could inframe or atleast mount the tank lower as the pumper carb will pull fuel from slightly below. Whats the ash tray for really?

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Thanks!

I plan on relocating the gas tank, I also want to find/make a better looking one eventually.

Here is a photoshopped rendition of the plan-

I may, however, go with a banana seat, then those metal posts will be holding up the back of the seat and won't require cutting