Remember, kids: Tighten your choke lever! (the root of my problem)

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Well today I had just about had it with my engine. I've sealed every potential air leak, replaced parts, etc, and my engine was still randomly 4-stroking and barely able to make it up hills! What was weird is it would start out fine and then within a minute it would be right back to 4 stroking and bogging. I'd adjusted my carb and everything! I couldn't figure out what was going on.

At one point I had to pull over my bike to see what was the problem. I was so mad, and in a fit of rage I looked at the carb and noticed the choke lever was all the way up! What the ****?! I put it all the way down and rode again and my engine was roaring better than ever! Then about 30 seconds down the road my engine starts 4 stroking and bogging again. I look down, and that damn lever shook up!

So if any noobs like me out there are having problems with their engine running consistently, check your choke lever!

I'm so glad I finally figured out the problem. Now my bike gets up to 40 no problem!

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW!

45 !

Will you work on my bike???

I'm still stumbling along, but it's getting me wherever I need to be.

Congrats on getting your problem resolved!

Wonder what's gonna be next in HTland? 8-O

Best
rc

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Sorry, it's actually more around 40. I'm still working on trying to get it to 45, if that's even possible. Of course this is on level ground, mind you.

But here are all the things I've done to my bike in case you're interetsed:

- Port matched the exhaust and intake.
- Added NGK spark plug.
- Put holes in the air filter cover. Also cut off the 4 tubes.
- Made a kind of low-profile ram air system out of a tin can.
- Run B-12 Chemtool through the engine occasionally to break up carbon.
- Bought some better fuel line.

All those things combined made a noticeable difference.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
What kinda sprocket are you running?

Also, I tried something very similar to that "ram air" system. It didn't work for me, and I think it actually ran worse. Air doesn't like to make that sharp of a turn.

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
How did you tighten the choke lever? mine is very loose and moves up and down according to gravity or wind or anything. Can it be tightened up?

Cheers.
If you have the NT/TC carb, all you have to do is take off the air filter cover(the big black thing), and you just tighten the screw that is where the choke lever is connected to. All the choke really is is just a flap that moves over the intake to reduce flow, so all you need to do is just tighten the screw the make it less flimsy.