53 Schwinn Hornet four stroke for sale...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yesterday I listed my 53 Schwinn Hornet on Ebay.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Nice bike, in frame tank, EZ transmission, Springer front fork, easy starting and smooth running Greyhound engine, center stand, solid and reliable ride that turns heads wherever I ride it. Need to finance my Indian-tri car build. Check it out as it's priced to sell.

Three day auction with a buy it now, could be hand delivered to the northwest by Fasteddy in a few weeks on his return to Vancouver through the US.

Here's the item number in case the above link doesn't work. 200643451257
Silverbear

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi silverbear. Yes that is a very very good price for a '53 with that drivetrain and hand-made accessories. You're going to spoil a customer and ruin it for the other dealers with that low price. I see that you're not in this for the money. You want to learn and have fun. I guess that's what it is all about. Thankyou silverbear.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the nice words, you guys. I didn't get one bid on the bike. I did get a nice email from a guy who says he loves the bike, but it is way more than he can afford and will build his own, but is saving all of the photos for inspiration. That's nice, I guess. Good luck to him. Wait til he finds out what everything costs and what someone will charge him for a custom gas tank. Ha! Got another right after the auction ended from another guy who want's Steve to deliver the bike to his door, but can only afford $400.00... but gosh really wants the bike, can we make a deal? Nice try. I'd give it away to a friend first.
I already knew that northern Minnesota is not the kind of market for motored bikes that you guys enjoy in California and Arizona and Florida, even places in middle America or the east coast. I have never seen a motored bike around here other than my own. I think people are pretty clueless and imagine that building a bike like the one in the auction is pretty easy. "Is that a Whizzer? Is that a kit?" No it isn't either one. It's a vintage bike brought back from the edge of oblivion and made by skilled hand over many, many hours of thought and labor. It is a kind of functional art.

I rode this bike and also my 50 Panther (which is a better, more beautiful build) around the local tourist town this summer and got lots of waves and admiration, but no offers of cash.

It is an eye opener for sure. So I had thought ebay might be an answer and really do need some money. I had thought that someone would jump on the $800.00 realizing it was a good deal. And for $500.00 they couldn't build it themselves. $500.00 would be a hard swallow and almost a give a way. There were a lot of views and a number of watchers, so I thought it would sell in the last moments of the auction.

I'll put it up again this weekend to see what happens, but it has been a lesson to me that selling bikes in my part of the world is not likely to happen, at least by me. Not as any kind of business venture. I'll be lucky to unload what I have. I know the economy in general is partly to blame and that people are reluctant to spend money. I know I am.

The summer is ending here and with it the influx of tourists. The riding season is over by October when the first snow arrives even though I ride longer and in pretty crappy conditions.

I am building a bike hauler trailer and if I have it done in time will be able to take several bikes to Maryland with me for the winter. Selling them there might be a little better proposition, but not much. Most likely I will just take the current couple of projects with me to work on this winter and then the builds are done with. Next summer I'll try again to sell off what I have made to get some money back. I'm going to try to see if I can make a little money by buying a dead moped, stripping it down to sell the parts on ebay and if it makes money, then buy another. I'd rather make a dime creating rolling art, but have to do something. I really do not want to be a greeter at Walmart.Not that there's a Walmart around here anyway.

Thanks for listening. Whining is done. In the morning I'll get back to work on the Indian Hiawatha, my last build. Next summer at this time I'll be finishing up a modest houseboat made from an old pontoon boat and will live on it in the summers on a local lake, fishing and swimming like Huck Finn. I'll ride a motorbike to town for groceries and beer and gas. Once in awhile the dog and I will ride the Indian with canoe sidecar around to show off. If someone wants to know if I'll make one for them the answer is no, I'm going fishing. Ha! Time to shift gears once again. At least I have gears.
Silverbear

mrleo

Aug 16, 2011
cal.
I only wish i gould own suck a fine pice of your workmanship. I just bid on a bike from Adam. If i could arange shipping to calif. I would of bid on yours. I can only wish you good luck. Icould not understand why it dident sell i now money is tight but man Leo

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Silverbear,

Niiice Ride!!! :)

Sometimes pricing an item "right" may mean having a HIGHER starting/ asking price.

This should attract the right kind of buyers, buyers who have the money and can appreciate the countless "labor of love" hours you put into it.

I wish I was in the market for a gas MB.

Good luck with your sale.

:)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
sb. when you relist it, up the buy it now to like $1900. if you list something to cheap people tend to think it is cheap. that bike should bring at least $1200, even then you would probably be taking a loss.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks to you guys for the good advice and positive thoughts. I'll relist it again this evening and hope for better results with a higher buy it now and higher starting bid.It's a good bike. Why give it away? If I give it away it will be to my son.
To the guys who asked about shipping it... major hassle. This is not going into a cardboard box like a bicycle. It would need to be crated and that would be up to the buyer to arrange for. Steve could drop it off to someone in North Dakota, Montana, and whatever is between there and Washington State, then up to BC. He'll be on his way west and north by the second week of September. For points east, I could drop it off in Wisconsin, northern Illinois and Indiana, Ohio, southern Pennsylvania or northern Maryland late September or early October at the latest. Free delivery that way so long as it is enroute. PM me if interested.
SB

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
From looking at feedback on ebay a Schwinn Hornet can sell for that alone. Wish I understood how the drive worked I would buy it. Guess I'll just have to forget about this once in a lifetime deal and build a FD bike.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Frogboy,
EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY
Here's a link to the EZmotorbike website which has videos of the transmission working on a bike. In a nutshell, there is a pulley which attaches to the engine crankshaft. A V belt goes fro that pulley to a Max Torque automatic clutch. The clutch acts like a jackshaft so that on one side there is a pulley and on the other end of that shaft is a sprocket. A chain goes from the sprocket to the rear wheel driven sprocket. The engine is a pull start. You give it gas and the clutch makes the bike go forward. Simple.
SB

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
I would buy it sb if its not gone, here by brainerd me and my hischool friends have a mb club and the secont one of them sees this post (most of them are too lazy to mak a profile but they look at the posts and try to find me) one of them will snap this thing up

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the interest, Charlie, but it has been sold and will be delivered to Bloomington, Illinois this coming Friday. The trick now is packing everything up to take with me to Maryland where I'll be care taking for the winter. Inside the jeep is the Tomos/AMF Roadmaster moped "Orphan", the welder, boxes of engines, parts and tools and on the bike trailer is the 53 Schwinn Hornet, the 50 Schwinn Panther, the Indian Hiawatha with canoe sidecar. And on the car top is a cantilever Schwinn project. On the way to Illinois I pick up another AMF Roadmaster frame at Milwaukee. Hope there's enough room left for the dog and me.
SB