Problem with RAW motors. Customer service related.

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Now Let me get the story straight. SRTBRad bought a engine from me. Installed the Engine, Used it for 7 days and claimed it just broke. I went through trouble shooting with him over the phone and realized that he doesn't know how to install the engine. I asked him to return the engine kit for a full refund, no questions, no conditions. He insisted on an exchange instead. I proceeded to tell him that I didn't want to do business with him because he doesn't know how to properly install it and would just be back later with more problems. SRTBrad told me "I Know it's something wrong with this engine and it's not me." Give me an exchange and if something goes wrong with the second engine, I won't bother you" So I gave him an exchange. Second engine worked great for 2 weeks. He calls me up saying it just died again. No explaination. I told him again that I just sell the engines and I don't have the time to trouble shoot with him and that he told me he wouldn't bother me about the second engine if I gave him the exchange. Look at SRTBrad's conclusion to his posting. Found out that he didn't connect the spark plug correctly. 200Miles and still strong. Asking if there's a shop he can go to service the engine. It's obvious he doesn't know how these work and need help. I told him it was something he was doing wrong. Not the engines defective. It's true I insulted SRTBrad. I knew from the start he didn't know crap about installing one and didn't want to sell it to him. He insisted on an exchange which he promised, that he wouldn't bother me if he had any other problems with the 2nd engine. Sure enough 2 weeks later, he didn't gap the spark plug correctly and came back asking for a refund. If I gave everyone a refund, that couldn't gap the spark plug correctly, how would I stay in business? If I have to troubleshoot on the phone for each customer that couldn't gap the spark plug, how would I stay in business. I state clearly, I sell engines. I sell them cheap. If theres a defect, bring it back for a refund.
So, let me see if I've got the story straight...

You normally offer a full refund - no exchanges, but this time you made an exception for whatever reason knowing (you) "didn't want to do business with him because he doesn't know how to properly install it and would just be back later with more problems" then when he did have problems "I insulted SRTBrad."

It seems to me you do understand the vast majority of people whom purchase this type of engine kit have little to no experience and so you're unwilling to assist them, only offering returns (assuring that it was defective and not a customer error) yet you've taken the time to join our forum, your first and only post explaining at length how it's all the customer's fault? Because you've received some bad reviews?

I would heartily suggest in the future to refrain from insulting any customer as regardless of how good your customer service is, or isn't - this alone will result in a poor reputation, as well as to stick to what you've stated as your sales policy, offering a refund but no exchanges, as well as perhaps rewriting your promises to clarify that in fact, you are unwilling to offer support beyond a refund as "If I have to troubleshoot on the phone for each customer that couldn't gap the spark plug, how would I stay in business. I state clearly, I sell engines. I sell them cheap. If theres a defect, bring it back for a refund."

This is you is it not?
About Us:
...Raw has always been dedicated to providing the best quality and service to our customers. ...We are one of the forerunners in the bicycle engine kit market and will continue to give the best quality and service to our customers.

Our Promise:
...We strive to always make the best quality and promise the best customer service.
This forum exists for people to share their builds, to talk about what they've learned and the adventures they're having, but it's primary purpose is to assist any and all that would need it, regardless of their experience. So forgive me if I'm forced to the conclusion that what's happened here is simple - you've promised service you don't offer, then you made an exception to your sales policy and paid the price.

You can of course defend your business, to clarify what the issue was, but I would also suggest considering very carefully how you would go about doing that as this forum is and always will be for our members, not for petty disputes and vendor drama - certainly not vendors that haven't even bothered to introduce themselves, share their work, or spend a moment here trying to help the inexperienced.

Right or wrong, publicly chastising a customer does not give the best of impressions.

Honestly? Any merchant willing to sell these kits needs to accept the facts - that the overwhelming majority of customers that would purchase this type of kit have little to no engine/fabrication experience & when combined with the shoddy quality of these motor kits (raw or otherwise), it's inevitable that they're going to get a bunch of service calls & returns.

So, it's pretty simple really - offer warranty returns/exchanges & take the losses, or don't.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Heck, I'd buy a motor from you, everyday...
Sounds to me like you went the extra mile.

Folks are just not able to grasp the concept that everything from china is suspect and subject to "puffery", on their part.
Years of experience with imported products have left me with the conclusion that IF they are repairable, (and NOT a throw-away product), that event is inevitable.

Those who choose to vend their products on our shores do it solely for profit, though the concepts underlying the products are indeed valuable.

WE, have a NEED for inexpensive, efficient, personal transport within our society.

Those who risk venture capitol should be patronized.

Perhaps one day there will once again be an economic climate present here so we may once again manufacture useful products cost effectively for domestic use.

...my own operating MAB was purchased as a basket-case from a local college student. To date, I've given personal attention to nearly every nut, bolt, and bearing on the entire bike.
I have also bought an un-used NIB chinagirl kit from yet another college fellow, and have every expectation of tearing it almost completely down for at least inspection, (as Alf and other wise MB members advise), before attempting to operate it.

Best
rc

everydaymotors

Nov 8, 2011
Arcadia
I am not a REP of Raw Motors or do I work for them. I do sell engines, made by raw motors. So therefore, I don't have the same warranty/policy offered by raw motors. My ad states that I am a wholesaler and sell only in bulk to people/businesses that put these together and resell them as a complete bike. I do this because those people know how to put them together. I make the same amount of money each sale but don't have to deal with the headaches. I'm honest and upfront with this business practice. I tell all customers calling to check out the instructions online and make sure they can do the job. I tell them ahead of time that I don't offer customer service. And when a customer insist that they are capable, I sell them a engine. I take refunds for factory defects only. I took the time to reply to a negative posting by SRTBrad about me personally. Not about the product. I wanted to explain to all the readers that I do stand behind what I sell. I may sound like a jerk, but I tell all my customers BEFORE they buy not to expect customer service. SRTBrad exchanged a engine that was perfectly fine and working (running) I gave him a replacement which he tried to return as defective as well. Only later to find out that it was in fact working. So in this case, the engine was fine. My insult and attitude towards him was justified. Because in the end, this was a working unit that he simply didn't know how to install. I made an exception in SRTBrad's case for an exchange because he promised that no matter what happened with the second engine. He would not call or bother me anymore. So even knowing that he didn't know what he was doing. I gave him an exchange. And when he called again about the second engine, I simply told him that he said he wouldn't bother me anymore and I'm done with this transaction. If he wasn't satisfied with that answer. Then please sue me.

Last edited:

everydaymotors

Nov 8, 2011
Arcadia
Why does the merchant need to accept the fact that customers are going to have problems? Why doesn't the customer spend a little money and go with someone selling the bike and engine as a whole? There are many ads on this site selling complete bikes with engines. Of course they are a lot more expensive. But any problems you have, you are able to bring it back and they would fix it for you. Customers want to cheap out and "try" to install it themselves. And when there's a problem, they want to complain. Customer service exists to take exchanges on Defective Parts. Not to spend hours talking to novice customers trying to save a few bucks. Customers think customer service is a free tech support help line and it's not. Anyone that doesn't agree. Next time try buying something from wal-mart and walking up to customer service and tell them you need help putting it together or operating it. See if they can help you. They will tell you the same thing. They can give you a full refund if you want to return it. That's it. They aren't there to help you troubleshoot