1950 Panther Project

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
used My days off to finish sanding ...got the whole bike down to 220 grit.
Took of the engine shrouds and painted them, I filed down the hip? on the choke swivel to give less resistance for a remote choke lever. I think I figured out My throttle for the most part, just need to order some swivels.

You can see where the cable will exit lined up with the hole for the swivel on the linkage

I havent got the throttle or cables yet but here is where the throttle cable will go through the housing into a swivel atop the governor

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Lookin good chain! Not how I would do the throttle :p but still lookin good. A stocky little engine aint she?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Picked up My air filter cover today going to try out Silverbears leaping dogfish air-filter http://motorbicycling.com/f37/flying-dogfish-air-cleaner-24718.html ..funny thing I work in a huge kitchen our pantry is loaded with canned goods..but nothing the correct size I had to go to the grocery store. Hey kids !!!! who wants a tuna sandwich?QUOTE]

I don't know if you can tell in the photos, in the thread "Scored a Higgins", but that's what I used.

For my Higgins I've repurposed a toilet brush holder, a tunafish can, a cookie tin, an eyeglass case, a miniature mailbox, and I'm not sure what else so far. But when I get done, it'll all look like it always belonged. :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You could always switch to a Roadmaster frame. It has a tun more room similar tank and beefier rear.
SlowBalt,
That's an A1 frame... perfect, and I like the rear kind of wraparound. As the Panthers disappear, we need to be looking at other great vintage frames out there. What are you planning to do with it?
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Don't worry about the difficulty in locating Panther frames. I will soon be converting cantilever frames into Panthers. Center tube will be located correctly for proper fit of the tank. As time permits (yeah, right!) I hope to offer a modification service so hang on to all those cantilever frames!
Pat

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Don't worry about the difficulty in locating Panther frames. I will soon be converting cantilever frames into Panthers. Center tube will be located correctly for proper fit of the tank. As time permits (yeah, right!) I hope to offer a modification service so hang on to all those cantilever frames!
Pat

Very good news to hear!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pat
I still think a curved top bar Worksman would fit the bill !!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Been pretty busy..(with work) Got My Tuna Air filter done , made a bracket for the choke cable with some 1/8 x 3/4.I have a vintage stem shifter Im going to use as a choke lever. Been working on the Misses bike a bit more (started a new thread) waiting for the sheave to arrive, and got word My EZM kit should ship soon. As soon as it arrives Im taking it to a forum member for some angles welded in for mounts. Here are some Pics

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow! Looking cool chain :) Is that metal bit bolted to the engine the imagined choke pulling assembly that the lever will go to? Your paint looks good on the housing btw :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks..LS. Yeah the thing that kinda looks like a spoon handle is where the cable will come out. Still have to get a throttle, some cables, and another layback seat post mine was commandeered for Her bike !

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
You may wanna twist the starter so it is easier to pull, just a thought. I'm thinking it could be a fun summer project to power my HF on woodgas :D We'll see :D

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah I meant to turn it when I painted the housing..I got to do a touch up spray when the bike is done so Ill do it then.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A little bottle of black fingernail polish is handy for touch ups for your shroud. it's one reason I like black for frames... the easy touch up. Even has it's own little brush. I also use it sometimes as locktite. Price is right. Bike project is coming along nicely...
SB