New to Motorbiking. Completely Frustrated and Tired

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Crown bolt is a packaging/marketing house...I've used them in the past for projects that required mass quatities of cheap hardware bits that didn't need to pass quality standards for fit or stress in the given application. All of thier fasteners are purchased in bulk from China.

There are a few "real" fastener manufacturers left in the playing field.

This is one.

Standard Fasteners, Cap Screws, Set Screws, Bolts: Holo-Krome

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know where China gets their bolts but I seriously doubt that it's from Crown bolt and fastener.
Not sure what you're saying. China gets its bolts from China. You don't think they buy them from the United States, do you?
My point being that the fasteners found in most American hardware stores, big box home supply centers and even some fastener supply outlets come from China. Don't believe me? Check the packaging; you'll see, 'Made in China" on them and almost everything else you buy today from those places. If you're concerened about Chinese quality then stay away from Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Sears, And a good percentage of the other places where you can buy fasteners, or anything else you need.
Again I'll stress proper torquing. Not over tightening the fasteners is pretty good assurance against twisting them off. It doesn't make any difference where they're made. A 1/4", or in the case of metric, 6mm fastener can not be torqued to 150 inch pounds, or more, subjected to stress and vibration, and be expected to survive. I maintain that over tightening by inesperienced people is one of the biggest problems with the Chinese engine kits. I've fought this battle for years and have some experience in the field. If you are twisting off fasteners then its a good bet that you're probably over tightening them. This goes for every fastener that is required to mount a kit to a bike including mounting fasteners, engine cover, head, intake, and exhaust bolts.
The other problem is the advice I've seen given to constantly tighten the fasteners. "Tighten the mounting bolts after every ride" Bull Hocky! There is a world of difference between tightening, and checking the tightness. Just because you put a wrench on a bolt doesn't mean that you have to turn it. If it feels tight...leave it alone. Trying to get a bolt to turn, even when it feels tight, is the best way to break it. Good Lord...I've typed this same thing so many times I should just copy and paste it to threads like these.

Tom

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Make the rear sprocket is perfectly straight no wobbling. You tighten the hardware there evenly in a star pattern. If it is not even loosen it up or then give it a gentle pat while tightening . The Idea here is have a wobble free sprocket.

If you are using the kit supplied teinsoner sometimes those need to be custom bent to go in line with the chain.

If your sprocket has a offset to the teeth point that to the out side it will help clear your rear tire better.
This is exactly what you need 2 do to keep the chain on. After 3 weeks of having my kit I am just now able to ride it. I realized that my chain didn't have as much tension as I thought so I had to put the chain tensioner on. Just make sure the sprocket doesn't wobble and there is enough tension and you should be good.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
does the kit have 410 chain(regularly sized bike chain).....replace it. that size is easier to peddle but it is very hard to align and keep aligned...go with 2doors suggestion and get either 415 or #41 chain....its what the tentioner is made for....now on the hardware issue...normally with metric bolts you can tell where it was made by the size of the hex head....for example an 6mm 1.25 made in america will have a 13mm head and the china one will have a 12mm head....dont quote me on the 6mm but ive seen this with my works hardware and it becomes very noticable when you have a foreign built truck with a cummings motor(american)