Bike Side Car

GoldenMotor.com

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
can you show us those photos of sidecars mounted to bikes?

ric
I found some. They're fantastic-looking too!

See more here: Google Image Result for http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com/files/french_bike_sidecar2.jpg

Look at this one -- made from a wheel-chair!

http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com/files/Left____Right_Side_Car.jpg

Wonder how he did it?

ric

Just found a company that makes them ... sort of:
Chariot Carriers: Bike Trailers, Jogging Strollers and more, for bicycle riders and joggers

Last edited:

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Third world countries have been using sidecars on bikes for generations. In the Philipines, they are both on bicycles and motorcycles. So definately practical....but not always legal here in the US.

Attachments

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
OK, now that you have my interest, which side of the bike should the side car be attached? I have been thinking about building a trailer from several small kids bikes I have lying around.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
OK, now that you have my interest, which side of the bike should the side car be attached? I have been thinking about building a trailer from several small kids bikes I have lying around.

there's a bunch of links here:
Sidecar notes

If you don't find the answer try googling "Plans for bike sidecar"

ricland

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I don't know how do-able this is with a sidecar, but I was thinking there must be some kind of rig that you can use to haul stuff on a long trip.

If you wanted to try and make a cross-country trip without staying in hotels (sleeping under the stars) you'd have to haul some basic stuff -- tent, air-mattress, change of clothes, water, food, etc.

ricland

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I don't know how do-able this is with a sidecar, but I was thinking there must be some kind of rig that you can use to haul stuff on a long trip.

If you wanted to try and make a cross-country trip without staying in hotels (sleeping under the stars) you'd have to haul some basic stuff -- tent, air-mattress, change of clothes, water, food, etc.

ricland

I was thinking of a work bike.

Don't know how you'd motorize something like this.

ric

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
If I plan a long road trip, my bicycle is going to stay in the barn. Me and the big bad V twin will hit the road with full saddle bags, and more luggage in front and behind the sissy bar. If the bike goes on what I consider a long road trip, it will be on a rack on the back of one of my trucks. I think I'm in pretty good shape for my age, but after a 20 mile ride on my bicycle today, I just don't see a "long road trip" on this thing. It's a lot of fun, but (or should I say "butt") I think a "long road trip" would last longer than the fun!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Target sells a fair trailer for about 99.00. I use one to get grocries with. But empty anything over 10 mph is beggin' for it. They flip real easy. Loaded ther ok. I never go over 20mph loaded. I hauled a 20" TV once no problem. Max lbs is about 100. They say 60 lbs I think.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
Target sells a fair trailer for about 99.00. I use one to get grocries with. But empty anything over 10 mph is beggin' for it. They flip real easy. Loaded ther ok. I never go over 20mph loaded. I hauled a 20" TV once no problem. Max lbs is about 100. They say 60 lbs I think.

I think this is the one you're talking about.

What? No cup holder?

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Cool, but has anyone tries carrying the kids in one of these?? I have a 2 year old who would love a ride behind my motor... but has anyone done it? What are the experiences of folks here who have hauled kids in a trailer?^5

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Trailer flippin'

Hey Tramp, put a couple of empty milk-jugs or other expendable water carriers in your trailer, Fill em up, go to store, pick a plant, tree, bush, whatever, and "bless" it with a nice drink, carry back empty bottles, and your cargo. Repeat as necessary!

Mike