Up and running, couple concerns.

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
New first Bike done....

Got my manic adapter in yesterday and was able to complete my bike and got her up and running.
Runs decent, little harsh. My questions are one, is it normal for the motor to be sort of "knocking" during break in. By this I mean it vibrates of course but with more of a bang bang bang bang bang feel and not like a steady vibration. #2, the gasket that is between the case and the cylinder (the bottom no the top aluminum one) has a bit of gas all around it. Looks like a wet piece of cardboard. IS this normal or is that gasket shot? Also, what is the easiest way to test for air leaks? Soapy water?

Last edited:

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Mine did the knock knock a little, at first, but seems to have smoothed out.

As for the leaky appearance, I would recommend everyone to buy or rent a torque wrench that covers 12-1/2 foot-pounds and make sure that the head bolts are always maintained at that torque (tighten in a criss-cross pattern). I have 3 bikes with new engines, now, and all of them weren't torqued out-of-the-box and they all need re-checked after only about 20 miles of use... 2 of them are newer and the oldest one now seems to have gotten better with keeping the head bolts torqued because I ride it 4 miles to and from work every day and it now has over 150 miles on it...