How much would you pay for a vintage motor bike?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I was adding up the cost of building my bike and it's roughly $500.

I'm not gonna break it all down, but to show how much it adds up, i started with a rusted old bike as a platform for $80.

Add the motor, Worksman wheels (which i got for $50, they'd cost $200 new,) tires, seat, different throttle and levers, incidentals like hardware, gaskets, tools, fuel, etc...

Not counting the 2-3 weeks to restore, paint, modify everything and put it together right...

to build another one, depending on the condition of the donor bike, it'd cost about that, $500-600.

I've had 3 serious offers from people to buy mine outright for $1000, which I think is a pretty good deal, compared to what some other so-called "custom" bikes cost, and mine, I think, is way better than 90% of them, and a million times better than the turn-key bikes based on a cheap china bike platform.

I don't want to sell mine, at least not now, but my question is;

Would YOU be willing to pay $1000 (or more, depending on your choice of parts) for a bike like mine?

You'd be guaranteed a quality job, and as trouble-free a bike as could be hoped for, since i'd work out the bugs for you, and by now, I would hope that i've got a good enough reputation around here that people would trust me, so? would you buy one?

My plan, is finding old bikes, mostly pre-war, made in America, heavy duty steel, and converting them into antique looking motor bikes. each bike would be basically one of a kind, unless i find 2 matching bikes, then, y'know, they'd be two of a kind, but each bike would be different, and waaay different than almost any bike out there.

I'm not doing Choppers, Lowriders, Stretch Jobs, or RePop Board Trackers. My goal is to leave the bike as original as possible. it just doesn't feel right to cut up and weld a vintage bike. i don't want to do anything to them that a wrench couldn't undo.

Mostly they'd be what motor bikes were 100 years ago, a cool, heavy duty bike with a motor on it.

I'm just looking for some input before i start spending all my money and end up with a garage full of old bikes.

here's a before and after comparison of my 1939 Colson, in case you haven't seen it already...

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bairdco, the Monark I have on the sidecar thread has cost me as it sits almost $750 Canadian. With the parts ect. I've purchased to restore it over a thousand. Add the chrome, paint, tires and I'll have over $1,500 in it. The battery/motor set up is another $1,500. We can only have electric power here.

I would be happy to have paid a thousand to have a running bike. Like you said three other people agreed with me.
My thoughts would be, build one and see how it goes. Bet you will be runnimg to keep up with the orders.

Steve.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My basic bikes start at $500... The old bikes are based on how old & valuable they are & what parts I put on them, (like front disc brakes, springer forks & creative sprockets...)
I just sold the 1950 Phantom for $675 + a trade in on a motorized chrome Dyno stretch cruiser.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
my bike woulda cost more, but i got some great deals on parts, and some of the stuff i had already.

i was just throwing this out there, because i'm gonna build more bikes anyway, so i was seeing if anyone was interested.

what sucks is the people that are offering money, ain't exactly your motor bike types. they're Orange County rich jagoffs that live in big fancy houses on the ocean. if i sold them bikes, they'd be lucky to get ridden 2 or 3 times a year.

i'll still sell 'em to them, if they're willing to pay. it'd be awesome when someone i know walks into a lawfirm in Newport Beach and one of my bikes is roped off in the corner...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bairdco, understand what your saying about selling them. Over the years of selling high end antique furniture and just nice antique furniture I always hoped it was going to a home where it was admired and used.

Once it is sold though I was no longer the owner and counting the money never got in my way.
Take the cash and figure once they are on a great bike, they may never get off it.

Steve.

Zenoptic

Nov 18, 2009
Knoxville,tn
what sucks is the people that are offering money, ain't exactly your motor bike types. they're Orange County rich jagoffs that live in big fancy houses on the ocean. if i sold them bikes, they'd be lucky to get ridden 2 or 3 times a year.

Charge them good! they can afford it. Like the Japanese, The more it cost the more they value it.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yeah, another funny thing, is if i was selling a bike to someone who actually wants to ride the pi$$ outta it, it'd be 1000. if someone wants it just to show how cool they are to their golf buddies, i think i'm gonna double the price...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
As you can well imagine, I'll be following this thread closely. I think it is a matter of finding the right customers. Look at what a quality road bike costs and the spandexers don't think twice about it. Not everybody is as poor as you and me, but a whole lot of people will appreciate your bikes. All you need is one buyer for each one. Good luck to you...
SB

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
also, lookit the price of a new felt cruiser. they're like $499 and up. for that, you get all china parts, 14g spokes...

and think of how much you'd put into a cranbrook to make it last....

bikes are expensive. for a grand, i'm giving it away...

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
It is hard to measure monetary value of something perceived as "vintage" or "antique".

It is worth as much as buyer will pay for it.

Personally I would never pay a grand for MB.

For $1000 I'll get a 150cc scooter.

Beats any bicycle in comfort, speed and safety.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The average to good build usually costs around $500 when all's done and said - with the various basic upgrades you end up getting. Excepting the "lucky find" of a good, used bike - the more money you save by buying a cheap bike is used on the more upgrades and/or repairs.

Of course there's various different prices depending on skill, luck and scrounge - but add in a labor rate and an attempt at a profit and that same bike would need at least a $500-750 price tag to make it "worth" the investment. Now take the classic & vintage bikes that when restored can bring that same price and far more without motorizing and bairdco's prices start to look very inviting - I'm building a shiny one myself and the price is gonna be close to what he's asking (check the ongoing saga of: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html).

One of the things that makes MB so entertaining for so many is the differing levels of investment and labor, for some it's havin' the thing not building one that's important. I think he's got a good chance of sellin' a few to the right market - what's the price tag on a Wizzer these days ? ;)

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Depends on how much your time is worth. It is probably worth more than the difference between what you have into the bike and what you can get for it.

Personally, i would not spend a grand on one of these.
But that is just me, if I didn't have the ability to do one myself, it would be different.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't think these would ever sell like hotcakes, but they don't have to. For some an old bike is more than just an old bike... it is also a time machine into another era which may have great attraction. I know folks up my way in northern Minnesota lake country who have vintage motors on very old boats... some are old Chris Crafts and are jaw dropping beautiful. It isn't for everybody any more than driving across the country to car shows in a 1950 Studebaker is. But for some it is just the thing. And for the rest of us, who doesn't take a second look when a string of classic cars on their way to a rally drives past in the summertime? No, they don't make 'em like that anymore. And yes, you can buy a nice used car that gets better mileage for lots less money and then trash it when it dies and get another Disposemoblile to replace it. Not everyone has the ability to restore a car or vintage boat or even an old bicycle, but some of those people want one and have the money to pay for it. The very fact that they are on the expensive side, aren't easily found and are different can have great appeal. I wouldn't pay a thousand either since I don't have a thousand and can build my own... plus I have the time and long winters to kill without being able to ride. Nobody will get rich doing these old bikes, but if it can bring a modest profit doing something you like and are good at, well why not? I could be wrong and so could Bairdco, but I don't think so as long as we don't set expectations too high. I guess we'll find out, though.
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
Nice build. Really cool actually. Time is money in this hobby and it is hard to make any serious profit. Seems like everyone compares everything against the cost of an engine at $100. I see only a small percentage of the motorbike world into the classic bikes. Sure, everyone thinks they are cool, but only a small percentage of this crowd will spend the extra cash for this cool factor. There is hope, though, as I do see this as a growing hobby and there is potential. If you enjoy the build then keep building and selling. We need quality machines out there and guys like you are building them.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I have a lot in mine. Built it from scratch. Laced the wheels myself, etc. I bet I have $1500. in it & can't figure out where all the money went. It is cheaper to buy a complete bike & stick your motor in it. But not as much fun. Do it yourself & get that feeling of accomplishment (big word :))when it's done.
Jay

Attachments

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I have a lot in mine. Built it from scratch. Laced the wheels myself, etc. I bet I have $1500. in it & can't figure out where all the money went. It is cheaper to buy a complete bike & stick your motor in it. But not as much fun. Do it yourself & get that feeling of accomplishment (big word :))when it's done.
Jay
Amen...that is what motorized bicycling is all about. If I am going to spend that kind of money on
a motorized bicycle, it would not be in a china girl bicycle.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
jbcruisin,
Nice four stroke cruiser and I see a whizzer in the backround. Are the whizzers that much more powerful then the typical two stroke of four stroke kit motor? I know the whizzers have a lot of performance potential but how well does a stock one perform?