BGF has hongdu solex clones/ review RUN AWAY

GoldenMotor.com

joek

Sep 1, 2009
detroit
Goes To show don't expect the same value as a suppliers other products, sent this note to BGF fwiw Joe

"Rick, not happy with you on this engine. the packaging arrived intact without damage, the engine on the other hand-was either damaged in transit due to the way it was packed, or damaged before shipment. the gas tank is caved in,the flywheel is not concentric with the crankshaft. small parts loose inside engine or missing. there was a lot of interest shown in these kits on the forums, your not going to like the review I'm posting. I bought this from you based on the acceptable workmanship of your other 2-stroke kits
whoever packaged this kit had to know it was substandard irrespective of the shipping damage."

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any word from him as to customer service or the lack of it?

Let him know the "world is waiting".

I would deal in a polite and adult manner, he had no way of knowing "what's in the box"....how it gets handled is a different story.

joek

Sep 1, 2009
detroit
Any word from him as to customer service or the lack of it?.
got this reply-
"jeo:
thank u email us and let us know the problem
this one is new to the market.

so far not many people know how to install or the problem at.
so this kit is for some one interested the kit and challenge for using. so it is why we sell this unit with out warranty and has no installation manual.
please email us more feedback about this kit. so we can forward to factory to redesign or improve in the future.
fee free to email us
thanks"

It was obvious that the engine was repackaged, outer box cut down, inner box has been resealed. engine and controls in bubble wrap thrown in box with exhaust wrapped the same. misc loose parts in zip locks thrown in outer box.

sent this reply-
"rick did you pack this kit for shipment?, as stated my complaint is you either shipped this kit already damaged, or it was damaged due to the way it was packed by you for shipment. this is your mistake. joe"

kicked it to PayPal no response from bgf so far

fwiw joe

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
When I first started building bikes, I bought about 10 engines from him, & he was very cool about taking care of a couple of problems that I had with them.
Just talk to him polite & honest, & things should go well!

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
got this reply-
"jeo:
thank u email us and let us know the problem
this one is new to the market.

so far not many people know how to install or the problem at.
so this kit is for some one interested the kit and challenge for using. so it is why we sell this unit with out warranty and has no installation manual.
please email us more feedback about this kit. so we can forward to factory to redesign or improve in the future.
fee free to email us
thanks"

It was obvious that the engine was repackaged, outer box cut down, inner box has been resealed. engine and controls in bubble wrap thrown in box with exhaust wrapped the same. misc loose parts in zip locks thrown in outer box.

sent this reply-
"rick did you pack this kit for shipment?, as stated my complaint is you either shipped this kit already damaged, or it was damaged due to the way it was packed by you for shipment. this is your mistake. joe"

kicked it to PayPal no response from bgf so far

fwiw joe
We bought a rear friction drive kit from them a few weeks ago and that is how it was boxed.

The fuel line was plugged up with some kind of white powder and had to be cleaned out before the motor would run.

The channel frame for the friction drive was bent and not square.

Parts were missing and no instructions.

On the other hand it is a heavy duty kit with 2 bearings on the motor side, 1 1/2 " roller that does real well in the rain, 43cc engine that screams all for $169 shipped.

Wish I had bought 2. He sold out. cvlt1

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Motorbiker $169 for a friction kit????? You said a 43cc motor, was it the mitsubishi? Details please, I see you said they sold out but Im curious.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Ive never done business with this vendor but Ive seen it many times where success can make an owner lose sight of the small things like customer service and it can be fatal to a business. A business is only as good as the folks running it, if they dont care that trickles down through the empoyees attitudes. You can take 2 different auto shops of the same franchise and 1 can be a ripoff just due to a manager not caring about quality work or the customer, just caring about the bottom line. While the other shop will have a great word of mouth rep due to the managers hands on approach to quality work and customer service. A good manager wont put up with bs customer service from employees.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Motorbiker $169 for a friction kit????? You said a 43cc motor, was it the mitsubishi? Details please, I see you said they sold out but Im curious.
China clone motor but it runs great ! Came with the tank too. Yes $169 shipped. Bought it on eBay.

It came 5 days after I paid for it. He lists a lot of different stuff. You have to watch.

joek

Sep 1, 2009
detroit
BGF has hongdu solex clones/ review revisited/ photos

After a few emails, rick at bgf offered to exchange or refund the kit. my main concern with the engine, the flywheel wobble may have been due to poor assembly. I removed the nut ,tapped it gently true and re-torqued. now seems ok but have yet to pull the flywheel. I would rather just replace the damaged fuel tank, missing airfilter and side cowl clip than spend the time and money shipping the whole kit back. while it does not equal the original solex engines I own, other than the above problems it is serviceable. the only poor casting found so far is the magneto base. unfortunately I dont have a bike set up to run it now, maybe next week. fwiw Joe
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am giving this kit some thought, please let me know the performance characteristics when you have it up and running. thanks

GraingerDoodTim

Jun 20, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Fla
i will never buy from boygofast again. My kit was missing stuff, broken clutch lever missing the bracket and nutts for the gas tank, the kit I ordered said black exhaust, i recieved a chrome one. But the worse things were that almost all the screws holding everything together were stripped, yeah right, fresh out of the box with stripped screws. and the woodruff key holding the little gear was all @*&^ed up. spent like a week fixing that. No doubt i will not buy from bgf again. -Tim

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
i will never buy from boygofast again. My kit was missing stuff, broken clutch lever missing the bracket and nutts for the gas tank, the kit I ordered said black exhaust, i recieved a chrome one. But the worse things were that almost all the screws holding everything together were stripped, yeah right, fresh out of the box with stripped screws. and the woodruff key holding the little gear was all @*&^ed up. spent like a week fixing that. No doubt i will not buy from bgf again. -Tim
Its like they say,its a crap shoot when buying a china girl....I bought a replacement engine from BGF and its GREAT....I have over 250 miles on it and its running nicely....No problems at all.....shft.
John-John

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Fo'sho'! Let's keep this thread about the Hongdu Solex clone, not BGF service/lack of service.
How ? ? ? I don't think anyone else sells them ?

It looks like if someone wants one they will have to put up with the WalMart type quality and business style that is becoming so common.

Want to hear about my business dealings with WalMart concerning the converter box I bought from them ? Very BGF business style.

Last edited: