1978 Honda Hobbit restoration.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Yesterday i had a great fortune to pickup a 78 Honda hobbit for the exchange of a linux running M$-Xbox. To my great fortune the engine has spark, the piston has compression/turns/ and shows now wear scouring sighns via sighting thrue exhaust manafold. Asside the issue of worn cvt belt, carb gummed up with mystery garbage( this was a country ride, could very well be livestock feaces) and a snaped acelerator cable its in perfect condition.

Sofar in my attempts to get this baby running i have found out that whoever desighned the damn thing should have been shot as in order to work on carb and airbox you have to drop the *#@king engine. basicly theirs five bolts you take out in order to do this. One of the bolts is iterfeared with by the large honda clutch cover shroud.

If any of you are interested in the process i can post pictures and step by step guide to doing this work
Ill either post it here or on my bravenet website.

Cheers!

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Here are some pictures of the beast as you can tell i have some work to do as the engine,carb and airbox are litterly coated in feaces...

right now in one of the pics you can see a 1 gallon chem dip bucket, that is were my carb is currently sitting in minus the O-rings. surprisingly the o-rings and the float were in rather good shape so hopefully i can cut the $14 O-ring kit from my local honda part dealer. Luckly At oreilys they had a sutable drive belt for less then $20 compared to a legitimate honda PA50-II drive belt they wanted at the dealer for $70. Wish me luck guys!

Attachments

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
If you need anything let me know,i have one with 65 miles in show room condition.Also have a couple of spare hobbits for parts.Also i need the part # on the belt you got.HD

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Okay got the beast running and took it around the block a few times... Theirs still some carb tuning i need to do to get it performing the way i want it to seeing its over 30 years old i am rather suprised it kicked over let alone hauled my fat ass to the nearest petro station to put its first gallon of 25:1 since last spring.

By the way Mr Doc... it was a Gates brand XL belt 9420 part#13A1065 1/2"x42 3/8" they do have one thats a little more tighter i may throw on in a few days to see if it performs better. after the ride their was a little slipping i noticed on the belt but then again it could have been due to slight warping do to the belt warming up a little. what would you reccomend to keep this nice and tight. is their belt adjustment screws somewhere to tension it up?

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I am having a problem with the carb. i have cleaned it about three times so far after finding out i had missed a step or two each time. the problem is it idles with choke on, but as soon as the choke dissengages it revs up then dies unless i fiddle with the choke by slightely bringing it in. First time i cleaned it i missed the jets and the emulsion tube, then second time i pulled it out and cleaned all the orfices except for the capilarys behind the welch plug i dont want to mess with this untill i get a replacement plug. and second i think i may have put the emulsion tube in wrong with the large holes in the shaft towards the float bowl and i slightely brought the nipple of the tube into the carbs throat body is this right?/

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I also ordered on ebay a interesting addon for a moped project i am building. its going to be 100% linux powered and have capability of greatley enhancing the moped experience by providing GPS navigation, maybe some mild form of performance reading's/gauging, and two way communication in a augmented reality environment. now only if i could find a cheap afordable portable low wattage motherboard to power the logic behind this awsome Augmented reality setup.

Attachments

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
those glasses look straight outta terminator lol

. go linux10010101!
Cruzing on the usual ebay i found one of those multimillion dollar old skhool xybernaught wearables witha whoping 533mghz p3 or was it a p2 and 128mb ram, they were going for about $53 from some army surplus shop. i found that theirs a few folks out their that got a 9.3 ubuntu running on it but it involved a serius amount of hdd shuffling to get it all together. plus they didnt come with the monocular video display. Any of you guys have an idea if they were strictly B&W or did they have color. here is the link Xybernaut MA-V Wearable Mobile Computer - eBay (item 260472685501 end time Oct-05-09 06:10:22 PDT)

and another interesting one but its display is all niniteeeeendo V-boy style.
MIcrovision Nomad wearable computer - eBay (item 330359610793 end time Sep-19-09 13:48:28 PDT)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't know about the fancy spectacles.
The carb problem sounds like an intake leak. Engaging the enrichner masks the excess air by adding fuel. Turning it off lets the air leak shine through and the lean mixture causes the engine to rev up.
I suppose it could be a clogged slow speed circuit, or the slow jet is still not cleaned out enough.
Try poking the hole in the jet with a single strand of fine copper speaker wire. Put a few squiggly kinks in it and use it as a pipe cleaner.
The copper wire is softer that the brass jet so you will not need to worry about buggering up the precision hole in the jet.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Man I love linux do shed more light on that set up more links. Thats really cool!! Nice score on the bike!

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
First off i need to figure out WTH kind of brains i am going to need behind it, i am gravitating to the open pandora, but it just might be easier to use a nokia n770/n800, or the worst case scenario a Asus eePC. Third i gotta find some deccent *nix gps software out their. like anything this is going to be a work in progress as getting this or another bike up and decently running is the top priority as i need to be able to get to work.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Where do you stand on your hobbit.Got it to run yet.You need to clean all of your holes and jet out,you can run a small wire through them and see if they are pluged.Use brake clean to spray them out.HD

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Where do you stand on your hobbit.Got it to run yet.You need to clean all of your holes and jet out,you can run a small wire through them and see if they are pluged.Use brake clean to spray them out.HD
Well i had it running, had a minor airleak between the carb and reed box i was able to fix that with a little too much rtv, soaked the carb over night in the dip carb cleaner and blowed everthing out, aside from using wire i used some push pins. the real question is if the big holes on the side go up or down. I have enclosed some quick diagrams bellow. the question is how dose the tube go in their and dose it really matter. also i have the emulsion tube slightley raised into the throat of the carb is this a issue?

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The thing called the Hobbit in America was sold in the UK as the Camino, they came in unrestricted 40mph vario form and, when the laws changed, 30mph single speed.

And both versions had a truly horrible flat exhaust note.