Lawnmower engine in bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Sorry if this has been asked before but can you take a motor from a lawnmower and install it into a bicycle the traditional way? I ask cause you can get a lawnmower for free from craigslist. I have a 2 stroke China girl on my bike now but would like the smoothness of the 4 stroke.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The mower engine is likely a VERTICAL shaft engine. Horizontal shaft engines work better in a bicycle.
-The good news is that vertical shaft engines have been used successfully by a few experienced members. You must modify the oil slinger,carb, tank and other items to mount the engine vertically in a bicycle. It may cost you more in the long run to use the free vertical shaft engine in the long run.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, as long as the mower engine has a horizontal crankshaft. A vertical shaft engine is going to present you with all kinds of engineering challenges. Don't forget that unlike your 2 stroke, a 4 stroke engine has a crankcase that holds oil and the must be mounted in such a way as to keep the oil level. This is why you can't simply mount a vertical shaft engine on its side. Engines from lawn edgers, older reel type mowers, snow blowers and other motorized equipment like stationary pumps commonly use engines with horizontal crankshafts. Most mowers today use vertical shaft engines.

Also you have to expect to do some fabrication as far as engine mounts which could require some metal cutting and welding. You won't be able to simply bolt a mower engine to your frame as you did with your 2 stroke kit engine.

Good luck.

Tom

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Awesome thanks for the info. Would it be cheaper to just but a whole new 4 stroke kit or just piece what I need together.Although I really like the way the 2 stroke engine looks more than the 4 stroke.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about using it on the rear wheel as a friction drive?
Put a disc on the shaft to run on the tire.
My snow blower changes the drive angle 90 degrees this way.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It can be done, but it's NOT the best choice for a beginner. No insult intended, but if you don;t know whats involved, it's probably not the way to go for a first build.
The two stroke Chinese in-frame kits are complete and require little to no fabrication.
Easily found under $150 shipped in the USA.
Check out CheezyBikes page on Facebook for great kits at a good price.
(My last 4 have been Cheez PK80 kits)
Using a four stroke engine on a bicycle will require either a good bit of custom fabrication, or a bottomless checkbook.
Converting vertical shaft to bike use is fairly easy ( just add oil slinger and a way to fill&drain it), but almost ALL have a large plate designed into the now side of engine, so you will have to cut it, or fab a custom frame. Like I said, not for beginners.

PS: Using vertical to friction drive wheel would require one seriously STOUT wheel to handle the side loads.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
A 4-stroke runs great, pretty much after break in just let it warm up before you run it and change the oil every 25hrs or so. But the fabrication part of it is tough. I've seen a lot of bikes on craigslist where they just get the 212cc predator, slap an ebay CVT on there and that's it. Apparently the 212 has enough power with the cvt to pull even a too-tall ratio.

You'll need space in the frame, possibly strength added if the frame needs it, stronger wheels, stronger brakes, custom intake, custom exhaust, and a more durable front end than that springer. You might spend $1000 switching your setup over to that, but it will be a go-anywhere, practically zero-maintenance machine. It will get you pulled over by every middle aged man asking you the same boring-ass questions and you'll quickly learn that it's easier to say your friend built it.

Edit: the difference between a lawnmower engine and a predator 212cc is the price of the 212; $120. everything else still has to be customized.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I may be wrong, but i think if i remember right. The newer engines have a oil slinger and not a dipper. Its a round paddle wheel like, and should work good if it is keeped in oil. You may have to tip the engine a little. Been a while since i had one apart, you pull the bottom off and and see witch side the paddle is on.................Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
We used to make our own oil slingers, but be aware, it's under some SERIOUS fatigue loads and if you don't use good spring steel it WILL fail and cost you a motor quickly.
Most four strokes I've seen were slinger oiled, at least all the flatheads were.
Never broke a 212 so never been inside one

bchanfcb1987

Aug 12, 2020
www.reservdelaronline.se
There are racers who can make old and tattered engines look and feel like new again. Racing lawn mower engines are no different than your car engine. So the modification process is almost the same, you replace parts, port and polish the intake, bore the block, etc... Just make sure that the modifications are acceptable in the division that you are competing in.