Need some Carb Assistance

GoldenMotor.com

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Hey guys Im glad to say I finally got my bike up and running after a long winter, and It was running normally until I made 2 modifications for power.. both pretty self explanatory.

So it was running better than ever the other day.. I hit some crazy speeds. I ended up flooding the carb so I drained it. But the bike still just starts up, and bogs down. The throttle does nothing
Maybe could be a spark problem? The boot is a little shaky & I think came apart on the plug :-||

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
Check the inside of the boot, you might need to tighten the cap in it with a screwdriver.

Also, have you messed with the jet on the carb? It could be loose and constantly flooding the bowl. Happened to me once, couldn't figure out what it was for a week.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The first thing I change on a new cdi is the boot, I buy NGK boots at the local motorcycle dealer for about $3 each. Are you running without a end cap on the exhaust? If so you probably need a bigger jet because of the lack of back pressure.

Last edited:

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Check the inside of the boot, you might need to tighten the cap in it with a screwdriver.

Also, have you messed with the jet on the carb? It could be loose and constantly flooding the bowl. Happened to me once, couldn't figure out what it was for a week.
I haven't really messed around with the jet yet, no

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
okay so I ordered a brand new throttle and CDI/boot and installed both.. Even STILL my baby starts up, but wont accelerate.. When I give her a little throttle it sounds like the engine WANTS to go forward but there's just no.. "go"

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
These engine rely on exhaust back pressure to keep the fuel mixture in the cylinder, you need to do a plug chop but that's going to be hard to do if it doesn't run above idle. The jet that is in the carb is usually a little on the rich side with a stock pipe that has the end cap on it. I have had to tune every one of my bikes to get the right mixture. I have a micro drill bit set that I use, I drill out jets if i need to. On one I had to solder up the jet and drill a smaller size, it all depends on sparkplug color.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
my bike ran fine without the end cap. you flooded the carb while riding i assume? maybe too much fuel in the base of the engine? if so, that should clear after a few days at this rate. also check all the passages in teh carb for debris. not uncommon for crap to make its way from the fuel tank (because thay all come spotless ya know) and get stuck in teh carb.

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
my bike ran fine without the end cap. you flooded the carb while riding i assume? maybe too much fuel in the base of the engine? if so, that should clear after a few days at this rate. also check all the passages in teh carb for debris. not uncommon for crap to make its way from the fuel tank (because thay all come spotless ya know) and get stuck in teh carb.
Yes that EXACTLY what happened.. would it be easier to just order a new carb? theyre pretty cheap lol. Or should I get a bigger jet? Not too sure about the best option here haha

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The nt is a very simple carb, take it apart and check everything. Check the main jet because more than a few have come loose or were left loose from the factory.

onellesen

Aug 27, 2014
So Cal
The air filter might be to close take it off and start it up see if it runs normal, I had this happen with mine when my origanol cleaner broke. when its to close to the intake it doesn't let enough air through when u give it throttle

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
okay I dunno WHAT the **** happened.. But I wheeled my bike out to show my friend & he said to show him how its not running. All of a sudden my bike wants to ride perfect now haha.. Its a miracle