Huasheng 142f valve adjustment

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
After adjusting valves to .004/.006 and warming engine up by riding, I pulled the valve cover to see what the measurements were with a wam/hot engine. The measurements obtained were .007/.006. The intake valve changed .003 and the exhaust stayed the same. I thought when the valves heated up the measurements would change for both of them, especially the exhaust. I am chasing down the last same problem I have for both these motors I have. They have a bad tap noise coming from the valves. I haven't determined if it is the exhaust or intake yet. With motor running I have loosened and tightened each one to see if I hear a difference but strangly enough it doesn't seem to get quieter or worse. It was present before the cdi and flywheel swap to correct the rev limit they seem to be now building these engines with. I will be tinkering on this all day, so someone toss some ideas my way.

Last edited:

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
My bad. I can get the tap noise to dissapear. I did both at same time. Now, for proper adjustment. If I tighten to just where the tap noise goes away on both intake and exhaust, engine runs smooth and is quite. But test riding the acceleration isn't the greatest. I adjust valves a 1/4 turn out and runs like a spotted ape. But have unbearable tap noise. I am running the box muffler on these, will changing to a pipe make that much of a difference? I wuld assume since it runs like a spotted ape with the current. Valve adjustment even though tap noise is annoying, the exhaust wouldn't help if I adjusted valves to where there was no tap noise, only after the fact this engine is tuned in that an exhaust pipe would then only be better.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Well after a few more adjustments, I have decided it runs best with the valve tap noisey as heck. Seems engine breathes just right. My final adjustments were while engine running, tighted each valve til no tap noise, then a 1/4 turn out. I will let engine get cold and check actual measurents to see what they are. Does anyone else run adjustments loose for the power gain? Mid and top end is awesome with this setting.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Measurements were .008/.012. Ran the best with these settings with heavy tap noise from engine. Mind you, these are settings on the New Huasheng 142f engines built with the new rev limiter, after the cdi and flywheel was changed to the old style. I just installed the new carburator, which does make a big difference also, so those settings above are with only those parts swapped out. I will post the settings that run best with the new carb on it as well. By the way, the new carb (apparently old version) made it run like a spotted ape! Big difference.

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
As dumb as this may sound, hear me out. I know that if you put 10-40wt oil instead of 15-40wt oil in a diesle pick up truck, it will rattle like heck... change to 15-40, rattle disappears...
So, my question is what oil are you using??...
I run 15-40 Rotella, in my small engines...mowers scooters, ect...
I have ordered a 49cc 4 stroke kit from GasBike and it will get 15-40wt Rottella
And yes, the wrong wt oil will make your valves ratlle...it could be that easy...
dance1

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
That is something I didn't even think about. I use just sae 30. I usually use an HD-30 but these two engines I am using just a regular SAE 30. Just looked at the bottle and lower right says Monograde quality. Not sure what that is. I will switch it out first thing in the morning and post my results. By the way, thee two engines I got were from GasBikes also. They will not rev past 6900 rpm. Two out of four recent engines from them the carb ran too rich, had fuel coming out of overflow. Another one was cutting out badly at part throttle, the fourth cut out over bumps. I assume carbs. I have corrected issues by swaaping with new cdi, flywheel, and carb. It would be nice to adjust valves at .008/.012 without the valve tap as bad as it is. Will try the different oil. Please let me know the build date on your engine from gasbike. 03/25/13 are the dates of my last four.

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
It should be here Tuesday. I think it will be from the same crate, ie same manufacture date... I can't imagine Gasbike selling their whole container yet... Maybe I'll get lucky, and get one that wasn't made by a chinaman who needed to go home, and was in a rush...
Maybe I'll win the lottery...
Maybe, I'll just take my sweet time putting it together, do all the reading up, ect... Like, I already ordered a new 12 tooth sprocket w/one way bearing, for when the stock one fails...lol
:-||