Anyone with a KLR 650?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=14&id=702

Took a test ride a few weeks back and I liked it. Can't beat the price compared to some of the other dual sport bikes out their.

My question is to anyone who owns one or has in the past how well does the KLR do on long high speed rides?

Is their anything about the KLR that you really dislike?

How does the KLR perform off-road?

Also, can the suspension on the KLR be lowered and by how much if you know?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dave I have not owned a 650 but the 300 is a great bike, Though it is not street legal. I bought mine new in 2004 and sold it this spring. After a few upgrades I found on the net and gearing and jet changes it was a rocket on the low end. I installed a fourstroke works shift star also which worked wonders for shifting. We have a couple of what I consider great riding parks here in Ga. One is Durham town plantation and the other is highland park, both have trails ranging from novice to pro ratings.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A friend of mine owned one. I have seen kits that will lower the rear 1.5 inches that cost less than $200. Search for KLR lowering kits on google. The most consistent complaint I have seen on the KLR is horsepower and only 5 gears (compared to the Aprilia 550, BMW 650 GS, KTM Duke - all of which cost considerably more). Some owners think best way to get noticeably more power without spending a mint is with an aftermarket exhaust and carb rejet. I think the combination of range, wind protection and cargo carrying ability of the KLR is unbeatable at that price point. The Husquvarna TE 650 probably comes closest. The v twin Aprilia is dreamy, but really isn't very streetable as it idles very high.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Guys, a lowering kit..Awesome! The KLR was just a tad to tall for me. I love the GS but just a bit too pricey for me.

I've made up my mind, a new KLR it is when I finish school. A little gift to myself

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The price is just the beginning. BMW motorcycle parts can be very expensive. Kawasaki parts are priced lower.