Oil leaking from top of engine case

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings everyone. My bike appears to be running fine. Its relatively new, I'm still breaking it in. I've put about 13 miles on it so far. Given my question I won't bother posting what kind of engine I have. See the photo. I'm using 24:1 gas/oil mix and I'm seeing some oil on the cooling fins. Is this a cause for concern?

I've checked the nuts on the cylinder head, and they are nice and tight.

Thanks in advance..trlrl.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've seen the stock china sparkplugs cause this...the crush washer is to blame.
It may also be caused by the acorn nuts on the head bottoming on the stud before they seal the head.

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Thanks../. one of the first things I did was to change the spark plug and its on nice and tight. Like I said, everything is running fine, just wondered if this is cause for concern.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Clean it up and see if its leaking from s plug, head bolts or top gasket...... Acorn head nuts need to e replaced.... They may torque but are bottoming out on the crown......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your head gasket is leaking and it will only get worse.

Did you check the torque on the head bolts (acorn nuts)?
Have you checked them after the engine has reached operating temperature a couple of times?

They need to be torqued down to 120 to 140 inch pounds but as was said above, the acorn nuts are notorious for bottoming out on the studs before they tighten against the head.
Replace them with hex nuts and check the head gasket. Using a new gasket would be best and the cylinder head can always benefit from being lapped against a known flat surface such as a sheet of glass. Start with 320 grit paper then move down to 380 to 400. Torque the head nuts and check them after you've run the engine a couple of times.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I agree with 2door, clean it and look to see first place it comes out of - if it is coming out of the head gasket and you let it go, then the gasket will burn out.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I had this problem on my first build,,after I torqued the head bolts down the head of the acorn nuts all popped off,,then I gave the plug a good squash down,,no more leaks.The studs where not screwed all the way into the crankcase either,,make sure to always check that the studs are bottomed out as it will give you a little less stud to hit the acorn.I used an extra flat washer on them also.

Good times :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I had this problem on my first build,,after I torqued the head bolts down the head of the acorn nuts all popped off,,then I gave the plug a good squash down,,no more leaks.The studs where not screwed all the way into the crankcase either,,make sure to always check that the studs are bottomed out as it will give you a little less stud to hit the acorn.I used an extra flat washer on them also.

Good times :)
It's alway advisable to torque the studs into the case. When I get a new engine I remove the cylinder head and double nut the studs then torque them into the case. Almost without exception I find them either loose or not threaded all the way. Even doing this I still discard the acorn nuts and check the threads on the stud where they had been installed. When the acorn nuts bottom out they can distort the threads at the top of the stud.

I recently recieved a new engine that had a new style of acorn nuts. They aren't chrome but they are much deeper (taller) than the ones I've seen in the past. I still tossed them in a junk box and replaced them with flanged (shouldered) hex nuts.

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Take all the good advice in this thread and get rid of those acorn nuts and use regular nuts instead (that wont bottom out on the studs), and make sure to tighten the studs down into the block properly. Be careful not to OVER tighten, as the threads in the aluminum block will strip out kinda easy and the studs themselves that come with the kits are not very solid. If you are leaking up there your head is either not torqued down properly or the head or cylinder (or gasket) has a flaw in the mating surface that prevents them from sealing together properly. Take a look at the surface where the head and cylinder meet (with the head removed) and you will probably be able to tell where its been leaking....

IMHO the BEST thing you can do is get a hardware upgrade kit and replace the studs and nuts with better quality hardware. I got mine from SickBikeParts.com and am very happy with it (rather than trying to source all the stuff myself). Another good thing to do is get yourself a SMALL torque wrench that reads in INCH Pounds and use that when torquing things down. I bought a 1/4" drive click style torque wrench that isn't much bigger than a regular 1/4" socket driver, I like the click style much better than the needle style because it simply clicks when the proper torque is reached so there is no pesky needle to read. You just dial the desired torque on the handle and the wrench will click over when that torque is reached, being much smaller than a needle style torque wrench enables you to use it in small spaces after the motor is mounted. Here is an example of the type of wrench I am referring to....

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2432-4...50564&sr=8-1&keywords=1/4+click+torque+wrench

Not only will using this type of wrench make sure things are tightened down enough, it will make sure you don't OVER tighten things, which is just as likely since the aluminum threads aren't able to hold much past the rated torque...

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I got the new style(deeper) acorn nuts on my last motor and they are working pretty good Tom,,I torqued them down once at 11 foot lbs. and went on a 10 mile test ride today(@23 mph avg.),,they are still perfect and did not pop off,,better than the old nuts but not as good as the shoulder nuts you are talking about.

Nightcruiser,,
Thanks for the amazon link on the inch pound wrench I really do need one,,love the click style also :)

Good times!

Tommy :)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Nightcruiser,,
Thanks for the amazon link on the inch pound wrench I really do need one,,love the click style also :)

Good times!

Tommy :)
Shop around Amazon or local tool stores, that wrench looks pretty much like the one I got (and am very happy with) but I'm not sure if that's the best deal going or not. I just grabbed that link as an example of the type of wrench I am using...