Huffy Cranbrook 2 Stroke Cafe

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Hi All,

Just picked up a bronze Cranbrook for my "spring build". I'm going for a cafe racer look, kinda laid back over straight handlebars and low to the ground.

My inspiration is this bike: http://www.pipeburn.com/storage/21_....jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1327109015826

My plan is to slowly, as money comes available, add onto the build. Once I have a complete bike, I'll take all the parts off besides the rims, fork, and frame and paint it all flat/matte black. When I'm done, it should look pretty good, dark, but good.

I'll post pictures of what I have when I get home. I have a lot to do to clean up the bike such as re-grease all bearings, replace tubes, and remove all the decals. Then I'll be ready to start adding pieces one at a time.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Here are a few pictures so far.

First: The basic stock cranbrook with no modifications. Off the shelf what you get.

Second: I removed all the stickers, removed the handlebars, and cleaned the bike up a bit. I then added straight handlebars, and my home-made 6 dollar layback seat post.

The next task is to see how flat black grill paint looks on some scrap pieces I have: if it looks good and is the look i'm going for, I'll paint the handlebars, the fenders, and the large pedal sprocket.

Next, I will paint the engine (66cc two stroke), exhaust, and rear sprocket.

This weekend I should have front brakes coming, steel braided brake line covers, and a front engine mount for the larger tube.

After that, I plan on getting the SBP throttle and grips. By then I should be ready to go for a test ride.

More to come.

Attachments

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Dude, I'm 5'3" and I feel you on height. Your bike is pretty awesome!

Though I'm keeping the frame colored, and everything else will be black. So like an Inverse of the link i first linked to.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Alright, it's been a bit since I updated the build thread, so here are the changes thus far.

Painted the handlebars flat black, added SBP throttle and grips, "classic" speedometer, and added a tank.

Here's my next steps: Paint the engine (pictured is the engine pre-paint), install rear 39 tooth sprocket, and then install engine.

The pictures will give you an idea of where I'm at. The blue paint was for dry fitting the engine and protecting the paint while I shifted it around.

Attachments

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Alright, update time!

I have now assembled everything except electronics an chain. The only problems were getting the rear sprocket on correctly and that was it. The cranbrook is a piece of cake to work with.

I've now painted the engine so it has a flat black head and covers. Looks pretty sweet.

Pics attached.

Attachments

Deiseldave

Dec 8, 2012
Warren, PA
Will warn you about the cranbrook....

1st make sure you grease the hubs with high temp bearing grease, or you WILL , repeat WILL blow bearings out ( recommend getting American made bearings and replacing them all together.

2nd replace the tubes with thicker ones and replace the tires themselves or you will be getting new tires in a month from when you run it .

I run mine constantly and ive went threw 2 rims , 2 tubes and 1 tire in 3 months . Also get a tire liner for between the tube and the tire to help prevent blow outs . sucks to carry one of these bikes when you are 5 or 10 miles from home.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
my first build was a cranbrook,some tips, beef up the fender mounts,vibration will tear em up,and as deisel dave said good grease,but to me on a bike bearings are everthing! and on a cranny,front brakes amigo them coaster breaks just dont cut it,thinking about resurectring the cranny but will get better brakes that is one sweet looking ride,love yer colors.gonna take that,with me.frank.

chevelle454

Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I must warn you, CHECK YOUR DROPOUTS DAILY. i used a cranbrook i bought while drunk as a mockup. within a short amount of time, probably 50 miles, the dropouts started to fail and developed a crack. also i weigh about 150 and my frame got bent, torqued to one side. I put valvoline high temp synthetic and it held up alright, but started cooking the grease in a short time. rear coaster also overheated and failed once

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Bike looks AWESOME!!!!one more thing on the cranbrook from a man that destroyed one in under a year either secure those fenders or get rid of them nothing sucks more than a fender vibrating loose and getting tangled up in the front tire ..trust me on that one the best part of these bikes are the 12ga spokes and the metal rims & thats it!

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Bike looks AWESOME!!!!one more thing on the cranbrook from a man that destroyed one in under a year either secure those fenders or get rid of them nothing sucks more than a fender vibrating loose and getting tangled up in the front tire ..trust me on that one the best part of these bikes are the 12ga spokes and the metal rims & thats it!
My rims where all out of wack,,all the cranbrooks there had bent wheels,,I trued them up a little better,,but still wobbly,,next time i may build a Genesis.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
After my cranbrook disintegrated I took everything and mounted it all on my 1995 Schwinn Schwinn 100th anniversary Clear Creek
schwinnnnn38.jpg

Last edited: