It's MIIIINE!

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Didn't buy this to motor, but won't rule out the possibility someday-
maybe a little 50 and underbar tank?

Naw- probably just clean it up and have some fun with it- never had a three speed- only $39.95 on ebay- I was enticed by it for a week but the pick-up was over a huindred miles away- finally couldn't resist

My little Aspire will make short work of that at over 40 mpg.

dance1

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice find, Kat. What year is it? I love that it has the classic Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub.

Keep us informed if you do motor it.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Those lightweight cruisers are a lot more affordable these days than the vintage racers and cantilever cruisers. There is usually enough room in those frames for mountain bike wheels like 26X2 so they are very versatile. Nice find.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Apparently, from the info I found on the internet about it's serial number- it's a 1969 model- the first number before a couple of letters is the year- and that first number is a '9"

so it's probably not a '59- I think they may have stilll been importing higher quality Raleighs for Huffy then, like this one with a lugged frame and smaller tree piece crank bottom bracket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...-Mens-3-Speed-Complete-Bicycle-/390559974367?

and it's definitely not a '79- I had estimated it late '60-s myself.

The fork is slightly bent and I've got a replacement coming- bummer- and after querying the man twice before driving over a hundred miles to get it- it's hard to see without putting a straightedge up to it- although the first photo seems to show it- and so I e-mailed him before I bought it and then called before I picked it up and asked him again- very hard to see- so "caveat emptor" : Let The Buyer Beware! Puts close to another $20 on the cost, but I'm still happy with it.

It's cleaning up very nicely- the chrome surprisingly well- and the paint is actually really more of a cherry red that matches my transparent anno sprayed into the cap and brushed on-
it's really about the same color as the '58 in the ad above once the grime is off.

Tried a spare alloy 700c wheel on the front and there's lots of clearance- I may eventually replace the steel back rim with an alloy 700- lighter and I can use a narrower tire for a better roll- at that point I can replace the heavy steel brakes with a shorter reach alloy I just happen to already have. I may eventallly get some alloy touring bars and stem, could even get an alloy snowflake chainwheel, or convert to an alloy crank- but not worrying about that yet.

I'd also got the saddle below on ebay, because the Huffy's looked like it had tears- and glad I did! It's in MUCH better shape and also cleaned up much nicer than these ebay photos- and I sparyed the underside with chrome paint (Red Devil from Big Lots is the shiniest I've found) and it looks like a million bucks- the bright red actually now matches the bike better than the original.

Attachments

Last edited: