gas not flowing right

GoldenMotor.com

John_fulton69

Sep 12, 2012
Cudahy, WI
I have been breaking in my motor and along the way breaking all the cheap stuff that comes with the 80cc motor. I had to replace all the mounting studs with a kit from sick bike parts. I put a new NGK plug in and had to replace the spark plug wire because it fell apart. My problem now is fuel flow. I have an inline fuel filter that I got from bikeberry. When I am running the fuel line never fills up. I have removed the screen in the petcock. If I rev up the motor the fuel line will empty. My question is why is the fuel line not filling all the way up? Do I have bad flow thru my shutoff valve? I am using the stock carb.
Thanks for all the usefull help on this forum.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
Hi John! I would start with checking your gas cap. Take off your gas cap and run your engine without it to test it. If your gas cap is defective, that means that it doesn't allow air to come into the tank which doesn't allow a vacuum to be created to allow fuel flow. Hope this helps!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
some fuel filters will have trouble allowing trapped air back up the line at high oil/fuel ratios - take out the drain screw on the carb bowl to see if you're flowing well even when the line looks empty

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I have had this problem w 3 out of 3 kits..... My problem is the fuel shutoff valve has the punchouts from the holes in the rubber gasket inside the fuel valve still in there clogging things up....

Take the shutoff valve apart and you will find 1 or 2 little rubber punchouts from the hole in there somewhere...... Take those out and all should be good....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always use the small screen filter that goes in the shut off valve & throw away the large in line filter.

Here's a little test... Pull the fuel line off the carb & turn the fuel 'on'... if gas flows out of the line for a few minutes?, there isn't any problem. ;)

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Air in the fuel filter doesn't cause any problems, and is normal. If your bike doesn't run right something else is causing it.

John_fulton69

Sep 12, 2012
Cudahy, WI
found the gas cap was plugged. Drilled a 1/16 inch hole in it and that took care of it. I ordered the speed carb from bikeberry today. Hope that helps my performance. Anyone use this carb before?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
found the gas cap was plugged. Drilled a 1/16 inch hole in it and that took care of it. I ordered the speed carb from bikeberry today. Hope that helps my performance. Anyone use this carb before?
I'm running a speed carb. I like it better than a beloved NT. The speed carb tunes about the same as a NT. It seems less touchey about 4 stroking, and idles, and starts better.