1950 Panther Project

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Bike is running great!!! Fathers day got me the seat I wanted, just ordered it today. the bike will be out of commission for a couple days while the mounts are welded on. This bike is far from finished, still need to find a crimper for the stays, worksman rear drum, felt forks, some mounts welded in, and motor work and powdercoating this winter. its never going to be finished, but thats the fun. Here is the seat I ordered with black stitching.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pardon me, but where did you find that seat? That is a really cool seat.

yes it is a sportsman seat, i just found a custom welding shop to weld it on, the shop owner said he'll need the bike 2 days, and I have to take the tank out. I Cant wait, but also dont want to be without the bike. The Misses has been EXCEPTIONAL with Me riding/ and working on the bike, even making sure i wake up early enough to get in a ride before work.wee.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Well the seat came and it is sweet!!!! Here is a pic for the dry fit. I need to shave the seat post to get the seat down where i need it. The seat will be down and forward 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch when welded in.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I just re-lived (with much sense of loss for lack of a better word) this build by reading this thread.While building that bike I found somthing I really have a passion for, and a hobby that will last my life. Thanks Paul for getting this site up and running, Thanks Norm,Pat and others for building such awesome bikes that made me crave my own awesome ride. Greybeard, I didnt realize you were one of the first posters on this thread,I hope she gives you as much satisfaction and happieness as it did me, I know she is in a good home. Looking forward to my next bike. Sorry for the sappieness!
Chain

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Chainmaker,

She's right in the middle of the living room of that "good home". I've a thing for the Panther. You can look at one for hours, and they still look great with that curved bar, straight bar. In this house, and I mean, IN this house, are two of them. Yours, and one with a 50cc Honda and EZM trans. It also has one of Pat's tanks. They don't have to have a WHizzer in them, but no doubt the Whizzer looks like it was born to it.
I've reread this thread several times. Thanks for sharing with us. I could tell you loved it by the careful job you did in preparing it for shipping.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Somehow I missed that Greybeard bought your bike. Cool that it stayed in the forum community. My very first build was a 1950 Panther, a black one in original paint with a beautiful patina to it. Panthers are very cool with a lot of good old American history. Enjoy your new bike, Greybeard, it's a nice one!
Pat

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks Pat, I'm sure I'll have a good time with it. I've now put a couple parts on it that I bought through you.
black on black on black. It was great colors for '60s muscle cars, and an SS Monte I once owned, but the wheels were shiny. I couldnt help it, and some may say it just don't look right, but I've put chrome worksmans on it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have to add my two cents here in saying that I think the Panther frame is both well made and one of the best looking ever designed. I also have a 50 Panther frame on a build I now call an "American Flyer" which has a canoe sidecar. Like your Panther, Chain, mine has gone through evolutionary reincarnations. I started out with a China girl engine, then a 50cc four stroke and now a 98cc Predator with Qmatic transmission. I like your belt drive so much I may change over to a Brigs 8 horse someday with belt drive.

I can't seem to sell this bike as it has been such a good friend to me and with it I have learned a lot over the past few years. I have a couple of other projects I'm working on (Indian Hiawatha tri-car and 1934 Villiars powered Elgin), but this 50 Schwinn is my daily rider.

If I do ever sell it, I hope I am as fortunate as you to know where it is going and be able to follow along as it is being cared for and enjoyed by a new owner. Congratulations, Greybeard... you got a good one!
SB