2012 Motorcycle Cannonball...

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Photos from the 2012 Motorcycle Cannonball...

The Cannonballers passed through my town Monday as they crossed the Mississippi river as part of stage 4. Their overnight stop was the National Motorcycle Museum in the little town of Anamosa Iowa.

After his work my friend “Bicycle Bill” joined me for the 50 mile drive to Anamosa to check out the bikes, and of course we took ours!

Half way there we were flagged down by a fellow with a newer Yamaha dirt bike stranded on the Hiway. Turns out he was the mobile part of a chase team and had run out of gas. A empty Gatorade bottle and a little fuel from Bill’s bike got him to the next town, and we figured it was good biker karma for us!

We arrived in town and parked at a motel across the street and unloaded our bikes there so we could ride them over to the Museum. We were a little late for the nightly line up of the Cannonball bikes and some had already headed back to their lodgings, never the less I still got photos of a lot of them.

We hung out for awhile and meet some of the riders, and there was quite a lot of interest in our own bikes parked nearby.

I was on a side quest to get detailed photos of the front end of a Indian Tri-car I had seen in the museum before, but couldn’t find it. Even though we didn’t really send much time in the Museum it had gotten dark when we left, and already pretty quiet out front.

It’s quite a place and I really should return sometime soon with a better camera and post a bunch of photos here!

Turns out that back at the motel where I had parked my truck was where the real action was!

Several of the riders where feverishly repairing their rides in the parking lot. Ranging from some with elaborate mobile machine shops to some with just simple hand tools laid out on the pavement!

We ran into SoJo Gardella and his 1914 Harley Twin (#14), he remembered us from the Davenport show and referred to us as “You crazy bicycle guys”, Ha! I see he’s currently in 3rd place.

Just across the isle from my truck was Shinya Kimura and his 1915 Indian PowerPlus (#80) He was in the middle of what looked like a intense engine rebuild and I didn’t want to disturb him.

But just before we were about to leave he approached us.

He spent quite a bit of time checking out our bikes, since he doesn’t speak English well he would simply point to a detail and his lady friend helped with the translation, actually she didn’t speak it very well either. :)

Seems they had only got a hour’s sleep the night before, but were nearly finished with what must be a routine nightly repair session. Watching them work I noticed they’re pretty rough and beat on things a lot harder than I would ever dare.

He turned out to be a really cool guy and gave us some of his team’s Tee shirts (karma?).

http://imgur.com/a/YK3nx#502012

If the Cannonball is coming anywhere near your home I highly recommend checking it out!

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
WOW Mr.B, im sooooo jealous. I wish i could be there riding with you, i would love to drool over those bikes. Thank-you for sharing these pictures.

And you got to meet Shinya Kimura, ive been a big fan of his ever since i saw him on the TV show "Biker Build Off" where he faced Joe Martin, a complete opposite contrast of builders. Joe Martin built the typical American style chopper (not my thing at all) with sharp points on all the guards, bright colors and the end result was a bike i wouldnt be seen dead on. Whereas Shinya used minimum tools to build a vintage style bike that had a timeless look that i would be proud to call my own. Hes been a hero of mine ever since, and appears to be an extremely nice guy and very modest. For anyone who hasnt heard of Shinya check out this video, i love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGn6Reru5uk

Hey Mr.B where is the picture of the Villiers that you saw that you were telling me about?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I couldn’t believe Shinya showed interest in our builds, it still seems pretty unreal.

I also meet the fellow that built Member’s Povertyflats 3 bikes (look those up, they're all nice, but I really like a cool little BTR he built). And he’s now a member himself: “a.roaduster”

Now if I could talk Bicycle Bill into joining “-)

Harry, the Villers photo is the 2012 show link I put in the “Davenport Show” thread. It’s the last photo of the bunch and the engine is in little scooter/minibike thingy.

-Kirk

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very nice story indeed! It would be cool, very cool, if there would be a "fake" or "other" class" so we could ride the event. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Thanks for sharing.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not at all surprised Shinya showed interest in your bike. Your bike is IMO the most detailed bike on this site by far and could easily blend into the run.

Yeah i know the povertyflats bikes you mean, very cool.

Ill check out the Villiers motor.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
CF-

Perhaps we should organize our own...

Sacramento to New York?

“-)

Harry-

I’ve exchanged messages a.roaduster and it sounds like He’s thinking about starting a new build...

-Kirk

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Oct 5-6-7 in the Sacramento Delta area is the Bi-anual Whiz-in. Maybe we should do a 90 mile regional event before attempting a x-country ride. We do what we do because we can't afford to own and operate a 1915 Harley, have a road crew, take a month off work, and have dozens of spare engines. I'm doing the Whiz-in on Sat the 6th of Oct. I couldn't finish it last year due to a rear wheel bearing failure. I'm shooting on finishing the event next month.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I caught up to the Cannonball at the Sandusky Ohio stop. Having caught up to the first run in Maggie Valley and experiencing the flurry of activity there, I found this cannonball (so far anyway) to be alot more mellow. Sure a lot were adjusting chains, valve, oil changes, and bolt tightenings, but I didn't see the total motor tear downs like the first cannonball. I anticipate a much tighter race this year....oh ya it's not a race it's an endurance run....right Slojo?

Big thanks to the Lake Erie Chapter for furnishing food and beverages for the riders and support crews.

Most of these pictures where taken as the riders came in off the road to check in.

Picture of Brad's #1 bike, the champ from the first Cannonball. Brad said the bike was running good, had some minor problems that were fixed.

How can you not like the paint job on this J model Harley?

The Henderson's seemed to be everywhere! More pics later...

Attachments

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Steve Barber and Frank Westfall arriving.

Some of the BSA party, the singles were sounding great.

Sorry, no pictures of the BMW guys, they seemed to disappear quickly after arrival. I talked to Joe Gimpel who said all seemed to be running fine. I know a couple riders commented that the BMW contention may be hard to beat.

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Today’s the last day, I’ll really miss the daily check into their progress!

Brad Wilmarth is still in first place on a 1913 Excelsior and Slo-Jo Gardella is in 2nd with his 1914 Harley.

Pretty amazing considering both these bikes are single speed twins completing with the relatively sophisticated transmissions that the bikes from the late 20’s are running.

Sadly Shinya only went 10 of yesterdays 240 miles...

Thanks for sharing that photo of him, that’s a big open sky country out there! I know I’d feel pretty lonely crossing it on a nearly 100 year old bike.

-Kirk

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
What's really cool is the top six places, five different makes, Excelsior, Harley , Indian (X2), BMW, and Henderson, how cool is that! And the two oldest bikes finished one, two. Congrats to all and thanks for making my day the last few weeks.