chain noise

GoldenMotor.com

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i tried a search relating to my issues,didnt find what i was after.
new 66 cc installed on my bike,modified roller skate wheel,and chain some upgraded version,much larger (taller) than what was on my first one.

got chain aligned dead on,tension is good and bike runot bad before tuning carb.
here's my issue:
chain is rubbing inside housing,barely marking it,but making noise,moreso under load.
i dremeled away a tiny amount away from the ridge where bearing presses in,
considering adding a small shim between bearing and sprocket.

other than moving sprocket outwards .020" at most,am i begging for trouble elsewhere?
better suggestions?
i guess i could swap in the smaller chain,but i like the whole idea of bigger better chain.

thanks in advance for your help.
Frank

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
I don't know what you mean when you say "upgraded version" of chain. The suggested replacement for the kit supplied #415 chain is #41. It should run without interference.
What chain size are you running?

Also there is a thread which I posted a long time ago titled, Chain Noise. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6682 about chain interference in the clutch actuator cover. That might help you.
Tom

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
k.i'm back.
chain that came with my new 66 cc kit.431 wide and .405 high. .500 pitch.
chain that came with my old 49 cc kit.294 wide and .310 high. .500 pitch.
after thinking about this whilst walking back,the wide chain wont work,regardless how much i move sprocket out,its still sloppy on the sprocket.
i'm sad.i have to go back to wimpy chain.
samsung 028.jpg

woo hoo!! my first photo.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
its the width,not the height causing the issue. samsung 026.jpg

i realized i was wasting my time with the die grinder,unless i mis-align something to make chain creep to outside of sprocket.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
this doesent really look like #40.brb-go measure.
well,i havent got any on hand to compare.
it was supplied with the 66 cc kit i got yesterday.
will be picking up a box of 41 tomorrow.

new chain roller dia.34
old chain roller dia..32

sorry it took so long,had to go boost a tractor
and then fix the dishwasher,momma might be gettin a dishwarsher for my birthday.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Most kits I've seen come with 415 chain, that's not quite as wide as #41. If you in fact do have #415 now and it's rubbing, #41 will likely be worse.

It could even be that you have #420 chain tho. Buying a HT is like playing the Chinese lottery, you never know what they might send ya!

The only way to figure out exactly what you have is to measure the width of inner side plates, measure the roller diameter, and measure the pin diameter.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use a #415 chain... Those #41 chains are way too wide.
I like using #410H (heavy duty BMX chain) whenever it will fit on both sprockets. (It will also give the most clearance between the tire & frame). ;)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
KMC HD 415 has been the only thing I used on my high perf. Morini's. Never had a problem with it and yeah I do think it a sleeker lighter quieter chain than a #41..

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i think we are looking at 420 chain.
if i machined the hub out of a spare sprocket,and welded it to the new one,i could machine it to fit the wider chain,may keep it from rubbing the case.i doubt it would hold.

now im just getting silly.
41 is what is most readily available to me.

Last edited: