Someone recommend me an engine

GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
So I wanna build a vintage board track type bicycle.. But what engine to choose? Don't like the look of the cheap Chinese..

I have been looking at Briggs and Stratton mower engines on ebay but their are so many to choose from! Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?

Cheers

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have been looking at Briggs and Stratton mower engines on ebay but their are so many to choose from! Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?

Cheers
msrfan is the Briggs master builder and races them too.

Check out the posts by msrfan.

Greg {#11} and msrfan {#12} at the first California Willow Springs Race on June 18th 2011.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Seeing as you are from the UK i would suggest a Villiers engine as they are readily available over in England as they were built there. They are available as a small 2 stroke (98cc) and larger 2 strokes, some of these engines were actually used on vintage motorcycles. Villiers also make 4 stroke versions. You should have no shortage of engines to choose from. You should also be able to find cheap Albion gearboxes if you choose to use one.

Im rather jealous of engines and vintage bikes/parts available in the UK..... i look forward to see what you come up with.

Villiers 98cc

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ekJNrmXKOQo/0.jpg

247cc 2 stroke Villiers

http://www.theworldofmotorcycles.com/vintagebike-images/james-villiers-two-stroke-engine.jpeg

4 stroke Villiers

http://www.farmingmachines.co.uk/uploads/M02173_1.jpg

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I suggest a Briggs and Stratton or Techumseh in the neighbourhood of 5hp. Horizontal crankshaft. Seems to me to be about the right size engine...not too big not too small in terms of power and easy to obtain.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you have welding skills, add a Briggs, Harbor Freight predator, or equivalent. If you are not a welder, bolt on a 49cc Huashang 4 stroke and remove the red engine cover to expose the guts.

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
I am a qualified TIG welder and am currently learning gas welding/brazing as well so fabricating a mount of some sort shouldn't be a problem. We don't have Harbour Freight over here and I'm leaning towards using something old.. The Villiers engines are nice but much more costly than the Briggs it would seem.. I also need to weigh up the power/CC etc due to laws in the UK regarding petrol driven vehicles etc.. :(

Cheers!

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am a qualified TIG welder and am currently learning gas welding/brazing as well so fabricating a mount of some sort shouldn't be a problem. We don't have Harbour Freight over here and I'm leaning towards using something old.. The Villiers engines are nice but much more costly than the Briggs it would seem.. I also need to weigh up the power/CC etc due to laws in the UK regarding petrol driven vehicles etc.. :(

Cheers!
We have that issue over here too...sounds kinda sneaky, but if anybody asks I just say "It's 49cc Officer".