clutch problem?

GoldenMotor.com

ws6tothemax

Apr 7, 2011
Los Angeles
so ive been having trouble turning on my bike. so i purchased a pull start hoping it would solve this problem. now when i pulled the starter and hold down the clutch with hopes in starting it i realized the the rear tire just keeps turning with every pull of the crack. is this abnormal? pls help:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you squeeze in the clutch lever and the rear tire still wants to turn whenever the engine is cranked over then yes, you have clutch issues.
If you could describe in more detail just exactly what the issues you are experiencing are while "turning on" your bike, I and many other knowledgeable folks here would be glad to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think you need centrifugal clutch with that pull start. With a friction clutch, you will experience what you have now.

Or you can just lift the rear and pull start it, to get it started.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The pull start turns the crank shaft only. If he squeezes in the clutch it disengages the crankshaft from the engine sprocket through the operation of the clutch. The pull start then would only rotate the crankshaft and the bicycle would not move forward.
If the bicycle does indeed move forward with the clutch in the disengaged position (hand lever squeezed in) then there is a problem with the clutch.

Pull starts are recommended to be used along with a centrifugal clutch because a centrifugal clutch does not provide a method of starting the engine through pedaling. (some claim to but are not reliable)

ws6tothemax

Apr 7, 2011
Los Angeles
ok so when i try to pull the crank the rear tire turns right along as if it was in gear. this clutch is meant to get it out of gear right? and if i just start it on gear its gonna take off before i can get of the dam thing. lol i just want it working properly

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How tight do you have the clutch cable adjusted?
The most common error I have seen is a clutch cable with too much slack in it.
With the cable adjusted properly, hand lever released all the way out, you should barely be able to wiggle the cable about 1/16" to 1/8" and the release arm should not be able to pivot inwards towards the carburetor easily at all. The release arm should be able to be jiggled a teeny tiny bit though. You do not want alot of pressure on it as that will load the release mechanism as you are riding down the road and lead to accelerated wear on all the release components.