better picture

GoldenMotor.com

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
has probably 150 miles on it, is that much oil normal? running 32:1 since i got it. i shake can for 30 seconds maybe i'm not mixing it enough. but bolt is busted on muffler connection, so maybe leaking from there. engine runs fine, except about 30 seconds going fast, i'll loose power and have to let off the throttle, then give it again. maybe overheating/ engine not broken in yet. passed by a cheerleading team of some type the other day and they were all checking me out. good times!

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Bikeguyver, It could be a head gasket, but then agian, you say it after you let off the throttle you can gas it and it goes just as fast? You also might check your head bolts, & tighten them down. Make sure you check all bolts on the engine, I would also replace the muffler stud if it is brken off,, there might be some oil comming from there. If you are losing more power,,, chek going up hill,,, then check the head gasket & replace it also.. Hope this helps. Dirty xct2

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Head bolt /cap nut? Other threads reccomend changing the 4 cap nuts for regular shoulder nuts on the head ,,and re-torque to 12/14 ft pounds max in a cross pattern (search bar at the top of the page)The cap nuts may bottom out on the studs and not tighten allow ing the head gasket to blow out ,,,search for torque procedure star or cross pattern

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah- looks like the head gasket for the leak- if bolts are now tight- you'll have to pull off the head to see if it's broken-

the other problem sounds like typical carburetion problems and may not even be related-
I can't see the carb- likely the old stock carb designed for the 50 motor- the new 66 is available now for about 25- but I recommend the billet intake- which puts the carb closer to motor- I still haven't installed a 66 carb because the billet worked so well with the other carb-It's about $15 shipped from Pirates or Creative Engineering.

also a few more small holes drilled in the air cleaner seems to help air flow-

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
On second thought, after looking more closely- I'd say it is the muffler connection- I see the oil UNDER the muffler in the other picture

It's not really a bolt there- it's a stud- so if any of it is still extended- you may be able to unscrew it out- cut a notch for a screwdriver or a good pair of vice grips may work- if it's broken off inside, then you'll have to drill and use an easyout thing to unscrew it and replace.

I'm wondering about your motormount- it looks like a wider downtube- are the kits shipping with a wider mount these days, or have you modified it somehow?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Looks like a bad s-plug gasket to me. Keep an eye on the pluf see if it is bubbeling near the base.