Kill switch not working "AT ALL!!"

GoldenMotor.com

firstymer09

Jul 23, 2010
Florida
I notice after installing my 80cc gas motor kit on my bicycle my kill switch is not working. It will not shut off the engine when the button is pressed. I even tried touching the white wire to the engine directly and the ground (black) and it still will not shut it out, but only slow it down I guessed. Please advise.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Skip using the switch altogether & jus' choke it to death :D

Sounds funny I know - but w/my last build I didn't even bother with a kill switch at all, one less thing to worry about ;)

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
ya with all my motor bikes now i never use kill switch, it is cheep and shorts very simply with little bit of moister. choke will kill motor very fast, well giving it lots of gas/throttle .

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I've used aftermarket throttles/grips on the last five builds or so with no kill switch. I just let the clutch out slowly and kill it.

Not sure what I'd do if I had to kill it while riding!!!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I use my my kill button all the time!
I love it!

Granted I ride a Jackshafted 3-speed but I kill the motor all the time, like 1/2 way down the road to my house and coast up, or sitting at a light.

Provided the button is good, if you just hooked one wire to the White motor wire and the other to the frame it won't work if the motor is not also grounded to the frame.

You can just loosen one of the clutch plate cover bolts and wedge that green wire in there, or (shameless but relevant plug) buy one of my Ignition Keylock/Wiring Upgrade kits.

It takes the white magneto wire out of the equation, cleans up all wiring, and again, provided the button is good, gets rid of it's wire at the CDI (the black box your fat wire to your spark come from).

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' a FYI on the choke ta kill - it's a not uncommon practice in aviation, with ultralight aircraft & most particularly the two strokes.

The theory is as it shuts the engine down with an excessively rich mix, it both cools and lubricates & leaves it primed for the next start up.

Dunno just how valid or relevant it may be - but it's what my crazy ol' cropduster flight instructor told me... & crazy old cropdusters I figure worth listenin' to lol

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Dunno just how valid or relevant it may be - but it's what my crazy ol' cropduster flight instructor told me... & crazy old cropdusters I figure worth listenin' to lol
Yea because the crazy ones don't usually get old. rotfl

Are you hooking the kill switch to the white wire? If so that's why it's not working, hook it between the black and blue wires. The white is just an auxiliary 6v tap off the magneto.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a problem with my kill switches. All of them have worked well from day one. Like Kevlarr said, wire the kill switch to the black and blue wires from the CDI/magneto and you won't have to worry about the engine being grounded to the frame or unsightly extra wires to motor screws.
Barley Awake's theory holds water too as far as killing with a rich mixture but I just like the idea of pulling into the garage, reving a couple of times to let the wife know I'm home then shutting down with the kill switch. Just sounds neater to me, and then there is the added safety feature of having the ability to shut down in the unlikly event that the throttle would stick. It would be quicker and safer to push a button that trying to reach down for the choke lever. No, my throttles have never stuck, but...
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
No, my throttles have never stuck, but...
Now that you've mentioned it without touching wood it'll happen next week, heh heh.

srsly though, one of my bikes is blue to black, works flawlessly. the other bike is just white to ground, it works fine unless its raining then it'll give me a good zap for slacking to switch it to blue/black :D

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
heres a diagram, do not use optional method it never worked well for me. the white/gray wire from engine is for running a light or small accessory just cap/tape it off and make sure all connections are good. hope this helps.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a problem with my kill switches. All of them have worked well from day one. Like Kevlarr said, wire the kill switch to the black and blue wires from the CDI/magneto and you won't have to worry about the engine being grounded to the frame or unsightly extra wires to motor screws.
I agree completey Tom, but grounding the white magneto wire will indeed kill the motor. Even trying to pull too much Aux power from it for say lights will.

I kill it at the CDI via blue and black and cap the white as well.
I just do it bit more eloquently is all ;-}

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I leave my idle screw turned out. I pull in the clutch and let off the gas and it shuts off :)

I do this for the cops so I can just peddle by but it also eliminated my need for a kill switch.