Best Chinese Engine Factory?

GoldenMotor.com

grovernors

Jan 13, 2010
na
DONT PANIC

I am curious if anyone knows any information about what factories put out which engines and where each factories quality rates? Personal opinion welcomed.

I have seen the sticky that talks about the commercial end of these engines but to be quite honest the thread doesnt really tell you which engine is best.

So if you know what factory your "name brand" engine came from please post.

I have 3 "Skyfire" from the Nantong JaiLi engine factory. Solid quality 8/10, down-rated for packaging.

I have seen Jet, Flying Horse, Skyfire, Black Stallion and others but I do not know their factory origin so if you know anything please post and Ill try to keep this thread updated. Please if you can rate your company experience as well.

Thank you.

Skyfire 66cc NanTong JaiLi Engine Factory 80%

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Ok personal opinion, Its CHINA there is no quality control!

Name brands? dont exist. again china, without dissin any sponsors anyone who says they sell a Name brand china 2 stroke is kiddin themselves. Most of the engine names thrown around are just the distributors name!

Search the threads its been debated to death as to which engine is best

I have had 3 from 3 different places in china all went fine. Just remind youself of the cost.

I have 3 "Skyfire" from the Nantong JaiLi engine factory. Solid quality 8/10, down-rated for packaging.
Im not quite sure what this means but there is a skyhawk and a starfire not sure who builds em or very early on they were sold as or to spitfire made by Nantong JaiLi engine factory. all by Grubee.

Good luck with your choice

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
don,t be so quik to put down china quality . ( the scary thing is ) there are things that i have seen that are easily double the quality .

the real issue here is NOT a lack of quality control

the real issue IS the non-existance of copyright and trademark enforcement

typically in the case of small motors , its not the general quality of the motor , but the quality of some of the components in the motor that are the issue .

a few of the biggests savings they can make , is in the bearings and the fasteners .

and YES there is a huge huge huge differance between a $3 bearing and a $25 bearing , same goes for screws . ( a cheap screw may have 1 extra thread over a 2 inch distance ) but thats enough to mess up you thread , especially if you replace that screw and the next cheap one has slightly less than the proper thread pitch .

one thing i,m thankful for ( being a machinist in Canada ) is that they generally use low quality taps , and have sloppy tapped holes . quality taps cost easily 5x as much as your ( off the hardware store shelf ) taps

All in all , don,t be fooled . China is quite capable of producing a quality motor . But if $100 is what we are going to pay ,then a $100 motor is what we are going to get .

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I agree completely diceman - but one thing I was wonderin' if you'd clear up?

...one thing i,m thankful for ( being a machinist in Canada ) is that they generally use low quality taps , and have sloppy tapped holes...
Is that because of the worn, cheap taps used that there's enough left to retap the hole - to what should have been original spec (by "tapped" to include a quality fastener w/good threads put in)?

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
taps are like donuts , there,s fresh ones , and there,s day olds . kinda like pizza is always better the next day .

mabey i shoulda said poorly tapped holes , iether way , i get paid to fix stuff like that .

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ah well - I was hoping that's why the new fasteners I just put in felt nice and snug, guess I just got lucky lol

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
ok hheres my 2 cents. Grubee motors have really nice casting. from my exp skyhawk cranks are usually not straight and vibe alot. also from exp they have verry weak bottom end power. hdw is pretty descent they def have the nicest chain tentioners lol. bearings are ok 3 dollar ones lol. and now pizhou yongxing jet pk 80 the castings are petty ugly hdw is mmm pretty good the insides tho are verry pretty the cranks have 23 roller crowded lower bearing. and the new new ones 10 09 and 11 09 manu dates have the 16 needle caged lower bearing with solid crank lobes no bolt on weights. the low end power is verry strong thru mid and revs really well too. right out the box theese are the two motors i have the most exp with both 80cc this is personal opinion with full motor teardowns out of box at the end of it all i thing pizhous are the best i never find loose metalshavings or junk in the motors or out of round and scored cyl bores right out the box like the skyhawk and the pk has sealed countershaft bearings rubber sealed

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Just a heads up, working with worn taps is not a great idea. Taps do wear out and become dull. This will result in one of two things. Threads become undersize and out of tolerance, and/or the tap will not cut well enough to produce clearance for itself resulting in a broken tap in the work piece. Good luck working with stainless or a high temperature alloy with a worn tap. We get fresh donuts at our shop.

Also as a side note, thread "pitch" is a diametrical function of the depth and width of the thread form, "lead" refers to the number of threads per inch.

More than likely most of the tapping on these blocks is done using form taps which rely on a proper hole diameter to create proper thread form and leave virtually no chips in the bottom of the hole. A good tap would take care of hundreds of blocks, it doesn't take much production experience to spot the value of running good tooling to avoid costly down time, I am sure they have figured that out. Just my 2 cents.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have both a Grubee and a PK80-J. I bought the Grubee because I had heard they were the best and were available in California. I bought the PK80-J becuase I hear it has better bottom end torque, which I have yet to verify. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that the PK castings are much cleaner looking than the Grubee and overall the PK looks to be better quality. This is external appearence only as I have not had the PK apart, yet.

juancherres

Aug 31, 2010
Cuenca
Dear Friends,

I'm new in this web and new into this business, I'm from Ecuador- South America and I'm very interested on distributing these bikes in my country.

I'm looking for a factory that will sell the bicycle and the engine,

Also we leave in the mountains, 2500 meter of altitude from sea Level. Any recomendations for altitude???

Thank you very much,