dam dam dam

GoldenMotor.com

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
I changed my clutch lever today and had to pull my grip off well i broke my throttle pin lock also any one know what i can do to make it stop spinning on the handlebar now the pin is broke????

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I confess to being confused. Most bikes I see have the clutch on the left handlebar and the throttle on the right. And the "throttle pin lock", is that the little steel pin that keeps the throttle grip holder in place on the handlebar so you can twist the handlebar without it turning along with it?
If that's the thing you mean, I would need to know if it's the pin that broke or the plastic casing. A steel pin can be made cheaply from the right size of bar stock. A broken casing may need to be replaced.

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
ok i broke the little pin that keeps the throttle from not turning it happen because when i was pullin the other grip off i had my hand on the throttle grip and used it to pull also that broke the little pin well what i as thinking of doing was to use crazy glue hoping that will work

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
ok i broke the little pin that keeps the throttle from not turning it happen because when i was pullin the other grip off i had my hand on the throttle grip and used it to pull also that broke the little pin well what i as thinking of doing was to use crazy glue hoping that will work
What was your pin made of?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Use the same drill bit you used to drill the hole in the handlebars and drill into the throttle casing where the pin was. Get a trim nail (probably a #6 or #8) cut out a piece about 1/4" long and glue it into the hole you made in the throttle casing with a little epoxy.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
This happened on my first build
I simply drilled a small hole threw the casing directly opposite where the pin used to be, on the underside, and used about a 1/2 inch long machine screw that was about the same size as the now missing pin was and just a hair larger than the new hole is

Worked fine, there is very little real pressure on that pin
That's why they thought they could get away with a molded plastic one in the first place

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Use the same drill bit you used to drill the hole in the handlebars and drill into the throttle casing where the pin was. Get a trim nail (probably a #6 or #8) cut out a piece about 1/4" long and glue it into the hole you made in the throttle casing with a little epoxy.
Would have been my suggestion exactly. (Thanks Kevlarr.) My pin was made of steel to begin with, and that was part of my confusion - I assumed yours was too, and that you were quite a He-Man! But now I learn you broke a cheap plastic Chinese pin. Listen to these blokes here, replace it with something better, something made of steel.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NAPA has an all metal one fer like $10-15, even the twist tube is metal... no kill switch tho *shrug* It's a better 'nuff throttle that it may be worth havin' yer kill switch somewhere else or jus' using the choke to shut down... there's also no pesky pin, it doesn't need one lol :D

part # 7-03921

Those finned grips were invented by some sadomasochist BTW, best to plan on replacing them w/some comfy ones ;)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
NAPA has an all metal one fer like $10-15, even the twist tube is metal... no kill switch tho *shrug* It's a better 'nuff throttle that it may be worth havin' yer kill switch somewhere else or jus' using the choke to shut down... there's also no pesky pin, it doesn't need one lol :D

part # 7-03921

Those finned grips were invented by some sadomasochist BTW, best to plan on replacing them w/some comfy ones ;)
Those aren't grips....them's dummy hand grenades, ya just toss em! And then get a grip....or two.laff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
laff

yea - whodathunk that there'd be someone out there that'd make a grip that seems exclusively designed to give you blisters o_O

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Honestly.....and why in the world are they still being produced? It's ludicrous!!! Those things will give ya blisters even if you are wearing gloves.....pathetic, to say the least! OUCH:-||