Beware ... New Scam

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
A freind just sent me the info below. Beware ... this would be an easy scam to fall for.
----------------

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU TRAVEL....and remind your elderly parents, Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and anyone you know who travels. But Especially the older generation, as they are more likely to fall for Something like this..

It seems that the schemes to cheat people never stops and it won't! But keeping people informed is a key to helping prevent this from happening To your friends and relatives so please forward to all of yours. Can't be Too careful these days!

This so simple, and reading this, anyone could be caught.

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. When Checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for all the charges For your room). You get to your room and settle in.

Someone calls the front desk and asked for (example) Room 620 (which Happens to be your room). Your phone rings in your room. You answer and the Person on the other end says the following, 'This is the Front desk. When checking in, we came cross a problem with your Charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card number and Verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything you might give this person your information, Since the call seems to come from the front desk. But actually, it is a Scam of someone calling from outside the hotel/front desk. They ask for a Random room number. Then, ask you for credit card information and address Information. Sounding so professional That you do think you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this problem on your vacation, tell the caller That you will be down at the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go To the front desk and ask if there was a problem. If there was none, inform The manager of the hotel that someone called to scam you of your credit card Information acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped......and is still Clearing up the mess....

P.S. Please everyone, help spread the word by forwarding this Email to everyone you know. Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a Nasty experience.

It is never a good idea to give out the 3 digits on the back of your credit card. Also look on restaurant or other receipts to see that your entire credit card number is not printed there. If it is anyone who works there has access to your credit.

-----------------------------------------

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The last three digits is a card verification # that most companies have to have in order to process the payment if you are ordering online or over the telephone. It is to ensure the card is actually in your hands because that # doesn't ever get copied onto any type of paperwork which is where most of these scammers get card info.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: thanks for info mike this is my dream type of

thanks for info mike this is my dream type of site here at motorbicycling.com a to make it the most informative and family oriented site on the web ! i love it here .. and i think a lot of people have a passion for this type of stuff from a child to an adult ! i am 53 years young and still kicking -latter !!!
A freind just sent me the info below. Beware ... this would be an easy scam to fall for.
----------------

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU TRAVEL....and remind your elderly parents, Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and anyone you know who travels. But Especially the older generation, as they are more likely to fall for Something like this..

It seems that the schemes to cheat people never stops and it won't! But keeping people informed is a key to helping prevent this from happening To your friends and relatives so please forward to all of yours. Can't be Too careful these days!

This so simple, and reading this, anyone could be caught.

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. When Checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for all the charges For your room). You get to your room and settle in.

Someone calls the front desk and asked for (example) Room 620 (which Happens to be your room). Your phone rings in your room. You answer and the Person on the other end says the following, 'This is the Front desk. When checking in, we came cross a problem with your Charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card number and Verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything you might give this person your information, Since the call seems to come from the front desk. But actually, it is a Scam of someone calling from outside the hotel/front desk. They ask for a Random room number. Then, ask you for credit card information and address Information. Sounding so professional That you do think you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this problem on your vacation, tell the caller That you will be down at the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go To the front desk and ask if there was a problem. If there was none, inform The manager of the hotel that someone called to scam you of your credit card Information acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped......and is still Clearing up the mess....

P.S. Please everyone, help spread the word by forwarding this Email to everyone you know. Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a Nasty experience.

It is never a good idea to give out the 3 digits on the back of your credit card. Also look on restaurant or other receipts to see that your entire credit card number is not printed there. If it is anyone who works there has access to your credit.

-----------------------------------------

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Re: thanks for info mike this is my dream type of

thanks for info mike this is my dream type of site here at motorbicycling.com a to make it the most informative and family oriented site on the web ! i love it here .. and i think a lot of people have a passion for this type of stuff from a child to an adult ! i am 53 years young and still kicking -latter !!!
I agree Kicking ... this is a great site. Always a pleasure to hang out here where everyone seems like family and friends.

P.S. Terron ... thanks for the additional credit card info.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Mike.
My elderly parents-in law travel to Minnesota every spring. This will be something to pass on to them. They're in their 80s and sound like prime targets for the scum that would take advantage of people. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
"Our" motel here in Oliver B.C. has no in room phones --but we sometimes we get people knocking on doors which we check out quickly - we get lots of older people here visiting or going to funerals. Oliver is a big retirement community.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Another one to pass along almost happened around here a few months ago.
An elderly woman receives a phone call and when she says hello the conversation goes like this:
"Grandma?"
"Yes.... Billy? Billy is that you?"
"Yes it's me grandma. I'm in a little bit of trouble. My friend and I went to Canada for a trip and he got stopped for speeding. PLEASE don't call mom and dad, they'll kill me but the police have impounded his car and we have no way to get home. Can you wire me $2000 so I can get home? I'll repay you out of my savings as soon as I get back. I promise!"
"Billy I don't have $2000. I really wish I could help but..."
"$1000? Could you manage that? Maybe even $800?"

By this time grandma was getting wise, she told him she'd wire the money then hung up and called "Billy's" parents who confirmed that he was at home where he should be.

Unfortunately since she didn't send any money and the fact that the scam did originate out of Canada the police couldn't do anything.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Stay frosty people !

An elderly woman receives a phone call and when she says hello the conversation goes like this:
"Grandma?"
"Yes it's me grandma. I'm in a little bit of trouble. My friend and I went to Canada for a trip and he got stopped for speeding. PLEASE don't call mom and dad, they'll kill me but the police have impounded his car and we have no way to get home. Can you wire me $2000 so I can get home? I'll repay you out of my savings as soon as I get back. I promise!"

By this time grandma was getting wise, she told him she'd wire the money then hung up and called "Billy's" parents who confirmed that he was at home where he should be. motorbicycling.com/f28/scams-elderly-18707.html[/url]

Unfortunately since she didn't send any money and the fact that the scam did originate out of Canada the police couldn't do anything.
Stay frosty people ! Lets unite put on our steel toe combat boots and go on a war path with john walsh and safe side super chick by our side ! unite with dan too . O.K people lets fall in http://motorbicycling.com/f28/scams-elderly-18707.html

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
"Grandma?"

By this time grandma was getting wise, she told him she'd wire the money then hung up and called "Billy's" parents who confirmed that he was at home where he should be.

Thanks Kevlar ... this is a bad one. Good to shed light on it.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I'm not sure if this is new but A man enters wal mart . he gets an scooter for the disabled . he is going down the isles . he appears to be having trouble using his hands. an lady who is working in sports helps the man get stuff off the shelves . when the man is finished . he heads for the front door. he then loads an shopping cart with the goods and walks out the door without paying for them ./ from what I gather it is wal marts policy that since the lady was working in sports and was out of her work place.. there was nothing anyone could do . There were people talking about the policy , ‘not’ an employee. The door greeter said nothing. and I dont blame her

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Strange I must say.
Let me make sure this thing don't get way out there on where the information on wal mart policies came from . When this event happened there was an good 12 to 15 people at the door waiting to have the wand passed over their items because the alarm went off . Well never the less people saw this and the environment got hostile because they saw this guy go out the door , one guy said well;’ some urban slang and pushed his cart on out the door , and quite a few people gathered in front of the door. The door greeter got out of the way and so did I . I was ready to leave my basket even after paying for it. There were people talking about the policy , ‘not’ an employee. The door greeter said nothing. . So it may be an rumor , it was not an good environment . I headed for the car , I have been like that since a fight broke out at an mall. ( I have since edited my post )