engine missing a beat every 10 seconds

GoldenMotor.com

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
my 2 stroke takes full power no problem but every 10 seconds or so
it seems to miss a beat. The bike kicks a little every time. I'm thinking it could be the Carb, spark plug or the plug lead.

I think I'll start with the plug and go from there. Has anyone else had this type of problem ?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
What do you mean by "miss a beat"? Does it kinda "pop"? If so it could just be 4 stroking. 4 stroking happens when you are running too rich. It can be solved by jetting down to a smaller jet. However, if you are still breaking the engine in it's best to run it a little rich and it often tends to run leaner as it breaks in. Keep in mind that it's always better to run it too rich than too lean because a lean condition causes heat which can cause engine failure.

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
The engine has done about 50 miles. It's hard to put into words It's like something is catching for a split second every 10-15 seconds and then frees it self again.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first thing that comes to mind is a chain issue - check chain run & motor mounts

try going down a big hill with clutch locked, motor off & listen carefully

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
You might be right because my chain broke last week. I was missing the small lock that slights into each pin on the chain I'm not sure how it was lost maybe the chain is rubbing or not lines up properly.

I have a steep hill not too beside me I'll get the chain sorted and see if I can feel the chain catch with the engine off.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
If it keeps showing the occasional miss, you might look at your magneto under the left cover.
Check the tiny wire from coil to the black wire, see if it's coming loose. You can remelt the solder with a pencil to make sure it's still good. Then check the ground wire usually connected on the iron core part with a screw.
Next check all your splices (or connectors) going up to the kill button and to the ignition.

This sounds like it might be a poor connection somewhere. Mine are all soldered, no connectors and no trouble. Remove the kill button from the circuit to eliminate it as the possible trouble maker.
Good luck, hope you find it!
;)

Last edited: