trike pedal chain freewheel help

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey guys I have a Worksman trike and what I would like to do is place engine on rear plate where cargo would go.Then jackshaft the motor straight to the 3speed trike sprocket.Now the pedal crank is not hooked up.My question.. can I run a seperate chain from pedal crank to the trike axle if I instal a freewheel sprocket on the trike shaft???

surreybrad

Jun 8, 2013
surrey bc, canada
I did what you are doing only I failed to put the proper attention into the sprocket size ratios and ended up with a very slow trike. Just wanted to give you the heads up as I had to rebuild my jackshaft mount to accommodate the larger needed sprocket. Good luck with your trike. Gotta have one for haulin parts and groceries.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes you can do that, you just need a suitable adapter for the freewheel.
IWW,
Do you know of a free wheel which would fit onto a 3/4" trike axle? I'm using a riding mower differential type of axle on a trike conversion and am trying to figure out how to retain the ability to pedal. The main sprocket on the differential will hook up to the Villiars midget engine. Seems to me I will need a free wheel of some kind for the pedal sprocket. Not sure about how to go about this...
SB

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Ya beat me to it aleman! Staton is where I got my 3/4 adapters for '5150'. I have the 1/2" and the 1.10" adapters. On a go kart jackshaft/motor mount on a kick scooter. Pedals coming soon,be on the lookout for the thread!

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you both for responding. Looks like just the thing I will need (the steel one). I'm also studying the Atomic Zombie tutorial on salvaging freewheel assemblies. I should be able to come up with something that works. Cool!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just now read over the Atomic Zombie tutorial (free) on a bicycle freewheel. It is to show how one works, but in the process shows how to remove one from a suitable donor wheel and adapt it for use on a trike or quad. This plus the adapter for my differential shaft should be all I need. Awesome and inexpensive solution! Thanks for the lead!
SB