engine cuts out while free-wheeling

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
im re-posting this here because the motor that i have is a morini clone. maybe some of you italophyles can help me :)
I am running a ktm-50 motor it is the same as a morini in many ways and is now replacing ithe italian motor in the ktm dirtbikes.
It has a centrifugal clutch and no sprag catch so it should freewheel when the wheel rpm exceeds the motor drive.
THe clutch begins engaging @ 4k rpm. The motor redlines @10.5k
The 19mm dellorto carb designed specifically for this motor, is adjusted fine and jetted properly.
I am using the proper gas octane and oil ratio.
I have an expansion chamber and a muffler...motor seems to have no trouble getting "on the pipe"

The problem is this:
when the bike is not moving, the idle is fine...about 2k rpm
the problem comes when i get up to speed and try to coast; when I back off on the throttle and let the clutch freewheel, the motor dies.
but this only happens when Im moving. When im moving at 20 mph, the only way i can keep the motor running is to keep the throttle revving. . The clutch does not seem to have to be driving the wheels and is at least partially if not fully disengaged
When the motor dies,
it does so all at once...no sputtering...just dies like the kill switch was hit (i checked the wires, theyre fine too)
When this happens, I can also confirm that the clutch freewheels because although the motor is not running, the tire keeps spinning without resistance.
I can restart it without a problem. Its not seized. It just dies.

aaaaagh!:-||

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I recently had winter weather catch up with my jetting here. On colder mornings to work my bike would die coming up to a light to sit for a second. Always after redlining it.. unless I played with and blipped the throttle for a second . This turned into a routine lol. Until I put just a little bit bigger idle jet in for the denser cold air.

This carby was dead nutz on in the month of August

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
For your clutch to start engaging at 4k is too early. I have mine set at 8-8.5k. It could be a number of things. My guess would be either a Leaky gasket, broken shoe or clogged pilot jet. Another thing is to try to run it with the kill switch diconnected.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
to go from redline to idle on a two stroke is an instant lean condition,the carb may need to be richened a little to compensate.also a little higher idle will help the situation.