3spd vs 7spd

GoldenMotor.com

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
Hey everyone. I'm a complete newb so I've been trying to read through the posts before asking any questions, but haven't found anything on this one..

So I've decided I'm going to get a cruiser and decided against a single speed. I like the idea of added breaking with a single, but I have to many memories of getting kicked by the pedals at high speeds. So I thought I would go with a 3spd but after reading about speed and performance I was wondering if some one could shed some light on pros and cons of 3spd vs 7spd, if any?

Got my first ride a few weeks ago. Friend's kit is stock, 80cc attached to an older mountain bike. Based on the bike's speedometer and friend's car, I easily got to 35 mph on flat and slight decline. Steep Incline (300 yards) was another story all together, but the kit was a monster compared to ebikes.

I was sold on getting a kit myself before the first ride, now I'm religious about getting one!

Thanks to everyone for all the info-.xx.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I always use 7 speeds. Although only 1 out of 5 my derailer works properly. I'm too lazy to fix gears i don't need :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Metta. 7 with out a doubt is option I would choose. Aside from more gear options and ease of install, some day you will have only the bike to get you home. I run out of gas about once a month and have to peddle home or to the gas station or the inevitable break-downs. Also the higher gears really help when tooling along at a good clip. Just all around, 7 is better then 3, IMHO.

"I always use 7 speeds. Although only 1 out of 5 my derailer works properly. I'm too lazy to fix gears i don't need" LOL Ladies. Know what you mean. Ayup, have 3 out of 7 working gears after switching wheels and have yet to get around to it yet.

Thanks Joe. your right. Have to get on it. Sad part is I never get em right. Drives me insane.

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
I'll put my 2 cents-worth in. It depends whether you are riding around hills or out on the plains.

I live up a mountain, so I use all of my 24 speeds.

Also, use a cassette hub which is far superior to a conventional screw-on hub. You can do far heavier work without busting the axle.