New to the forum

GoldenMotor.com

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
New to the forum but not new to gas bikes,I have 4 bikes at the moment, I just built a 29 inch genesis Hightide with a 7g kit from gasbikes,It took a lot of finangling to get everything to work but it did,the 60 tooth sprocket I used made it way too slow so I changed to 44,it may need a 50 tooth it seems really fast.I used a plastic tank that is made for Honda dirt bikes 3 ltr. the two inch bar on top of this bike would not fit with the standard peanut tank.the handlebars are so big the throttle grip would not fit so I used a brake lever and it worked really well,gonna take out today and see if it will pull some hills,if so all is well,if not I'm going to try a 50 tooth to make up for the larger wheels,pictures coming soon.I have two 2 strokers and a homemade 4 stroker.These things are addictive..wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome, biker61. We're glad you've joined us here on the best motorized bicycle forum on the Internet. Lots of experience to draw from here but it sounds as if you don't need much help but feel free to share your knowledge and experience with those who are just starting out.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
Thanks for the welcome,all. Here's a pic of my latest build,it's a 29 in. genesis High tide,my first actual 4 stroke kit,it's really fast .It struggles with some of the hills but the extra speed is a good trade off to me.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm sure with your experience you're aware of the hazards fenders can produce. But, just in case, be very careful and keep an eye on them. There are some real horror stories here on what can happen if one comes loose and decides to wrap around the wheel.

Otherwise, good looking bike and thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
If I have any fender problems they will go,I usually don't keep them but it looked so good I thought I would at least try. the rear fender didn't have to be trimmed for the chain which is unusual.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice work! I do not have a welder...yet, so here is what I did with 1/8" 6061 aluminum to attach fenders to a GT2A frame. It should hold up....I hope.
Not as good as steel but it was easy for me to work with. Anything's better than that thin metal from the factory I can tear with a pliers.

Zip,
How did you bend 6061? It can be done but there's trick to it to keep a stress crack from appearing. The edges of the piece you're bending should be as smooth as you can make them. No scratches, gouges or saw marks. The bend radius also is important. Too tight and the metal will crack no matter how smooth it is.

Yours look good but keep an eye on them. Aluminum is a funny thing. It can fail with little to no warning.

Tom

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks for the heads up Tom...Maybe it was 5000 series? A buddy offered to get the raw materials . I requested 6061.
I did 2 sets one for him and one for my Bike. Leather hammer and a vice

It didn't bend terribly easy. What ever it is its aluminum and I believe it will hold up... but I have that 1 percent nagging worry even though it seems super strong.

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
The big seat on my new build doesn't really have springs, just a plastic cover that looks like there is a spring in it.While in the shower I noticed a bruise on my right leg that it takes nearly two hands to cover so I haven't ridden in a few days,gonna get a seat with springs on that bike or maybe I just need to slow down lol.

ChopperStyle

Apr 6, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Just moved up to Albs a couple months ago. I am looking for an alternative transportation method to get to school. I would love to see this being the answer. I also would love to see this being the new hobby for me and my brother! IF you know of any dealers here in town or if you know of any functions where we could go and check these things out! Ive ridden dirt bikes and quads my whole life! Thanks for anyone willing to respond!

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
I put on a speedometer yesterday on the Hightide and I rode about 40 miles today,The new seat with actual springs gave me no problems,did have one problem though ,the front sprocket on the wide crank pedals became stationary while pedaling,I had to use flintstone brakes to stop when I got home. I did 4 spot welds on it and all seems well.That just shouldn't have happened but so far the only prob with the kit. According to the speedometer I hit 30 couple times on a downhill grade,that's just really fast on a bicycle.This one is now my favorite even though the homemade one I built will do 35 easily.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I put on a speedometer yesterday on the Hightide and I rode about 40 miles today,The new seat with actual springs gave me no problems,did have one problem though ,the front sprocket on the wide crank pedals became stationary while pedaling,I had to use flintstone brakes to stop when I got home. I did 4 spot welds on it and all seems well.That just shouldn't have happened but so far the only prob with the kit. According to the speedometer I hit 30 couple times on a downhill grade,that's just really fast on a bicycle.This one is now my favorite even though the homemade one I built will do 35 easily.
Sounds like its running well for sure. So the pedal sprocket welds separated from the crank plate ...Bummer, first one I have heard that failed. Must of been a one piece crank style? The wide cranks I've used are 3 pc. and the sprocket is connected by one wedge you hammer in and use a set bolt. Seems pretty heavy duty but is very ugly compared to the one pc wide cranks I have seen.

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
The Hightide came with a 3 piece crank and same size sprocket welded to the right pedal..The pedal that came with the 7g kit fit right on the existing crank setup and easily clear the engine.The kit sprocket was welded poorly so I just re welded it rather than send it back.I'm sure glad I have a welder,metal cutting saw,all kinds of drill bits and grinders,they make the hobby a lot easier,a lathe would be a nice addition.So far that's the only problem I've had with the 7g kit and I really do like it.

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
I've been riding the Hightide for about a month now and no problems with the fenders,I've added a wired speedometer,a mirror ,vent tube for the gas cap,I will add some front shocks when I find some . She will do 30 mph with the engine screaming for all it's worth,if it was a 26 in. bike I'm sure it would do only 25 or 26 mph.It's all stock and fast enough for me.I usually cruise along between 18 and 25.The brakes are not really adequate,front shocks with brakes will be my solution for that.

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
This bike is a combination of four bikes from a bone pile,doesn't look like much but rides very smooth,lacks a little power on hills ,my other two stroker seems to have more power so I guess there are differences in the engines.drn2

Attachments