What is the quietest motorized kit

GoldenMotor.com

cypher99

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Maybe this is a dumb question. I don't know much about 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines. I was looking at electric bikes and was amazed at the cost of them so I'm looking at these motorized kits. Does anyone know what the quietest kit on the market is? I'd like to get a 80cc. I want to go fast but I don't want to annoy the neighbors.

Reactions: Loop

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey mate. to be honest i dont think there is a quietest kit. they all are the same. just dont take out the baffel or modify the exhaust and they are not that loud.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Maybe this is a dumb question. I don't know much about 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines. I was looking at electric bikes and was amazed at the cost of them so I'm looking at these motorized kits. Does anyone know what the quietest kit on the market is? I'd like to get a 80cc. I want to go fast but I don't want to annoy the neighbors.
Get a 4 stroke and muffle it down.

cypher99

Feb 3, 2009
USA
For the regular riders (riding 3 - 4 times a week), how often do you find yourself filling the tank up on your bike?

Also, do you have a vendor that you recommend where I can get 4 -stroke? Is there a 80cc 4-stroke?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
They say you can get 150 miles per gallon. Not sure how accurate that is.
I was a daily rider and was so happy to be able to go two or three days on a couple of bucks. It really hit home when the customer in front of you just handed the attendant 80 bucks.
2 stroke is much louder but can be had for around $100, but a 4 stroke is much quieter and will last for years, why don't you have a look at the site sponsors on the left?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will mention that the better exhaust (chrome longer mufflers with the tube baffle) are MUCH quieter than the really crappy zinc coated short fat cans with the thin sheet metal "baffle" inside.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Neither are any louder than a moped, and I have gone past many dogs and people in their yards without notice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not me man, ive got the cap still on the end of my pipe. The only thing I did was cut the baffle out and put a taper on the outlet on the cap.

BAAAAAAWAAAHHHHHHHHH.......wee.
Are you telling us that your bike is noisy...and you're proud of it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No im saying that, its louder than stock but not buzzy bee loud. Sure im proud of anything I put together and tinker with....
As well you should be. If you have the talents to build and improve a design and then enjoy it. My concern is for the future of this hobby. Annoying people with noisy bikes will do nothing but promote bad feelings and ultimately regulations that can and will spell the end of motor assisted bicycles as we know them today. As our numbers continue to grow we need to take every opportunity to present ourselves as considerate individules by keeping our engines noise to acceptable levels, riding within the legal limits (20MPH in most states) and not promoting actions that will undoubtedly bring the unwanted attention from the man with the badge, and his boss.
Like Joe, I primarily ride in a residential area and watch to see when people react to the sound of my bike. As a rule they don't until I'm within less than a hundred feet of them and often less because I want to keep piece with my neighbors. I'm sorry if you take offence but I'm not alone with my concerns for the future of this sport/hobby/activity.
Tom

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
No apology needed sir, took it like a grain of salt. I sir am maturer than that. In NC, law requires a heltmet and 50cc, to not go above the speed of 35mph. Which is what the bike averages anyways. Only when i stroke the pedals does it growl.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I think my engine is the quietest... as long as the engine is off... and start pedaling... laff

Sometimes, I just turn the engine off, and enjoy the quietness of pedaling and perspiration... laff

cypher99

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I think I've decided on an electric bike. I had considered one in the beginning and now I think I'm going to go ahead and take a chance on one. The combination of buying gas (which I hate doing at all) and the loudness of the motors was the deciding factor.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
When I am riding with a stock hua sheng 4 stroke all the people I meet have grins on their faces and I ride around in a town full of greenies. It could be made even quieter with an extension that would angle the outlet directly towards the ground. In fact the current drive train makes as much noise as the motor.

Good luck with your electric bike. Your cost for silence will be way more than a 4 cycle gas and your range wayyyyyy less. The most expensive electric bike that I know of, the optibike, is just about as loud as my bike due to its drivetrain noise btw. The hub motor bikes are the quietest.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Electric bikes are good except that batteries are very costly and starts to drain the moment you remove it from the charger. You can have a hybrid, so you can have an option to be quiet or noisy or wet with perspiration... laff

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Depends on whether they are brush, brushless or geared. The weight is the issue as they are really heavy due to the windings and it is rotating weight also. There is no way I would ever consider a Tidal Force type bike that has the battery in one hub and the motor in the other. There is too much chance of chipping the rim and having all kinds of hassle as a result.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
These bikes aren't really all that loud, I think what makes them seem loud is they sound like a weedeater/chainsaw, and people equate that with the "gopeds" that are frankly kind of annoying. I for one, am looking to modify my exhaust and motor to be as quiet as possible, but yet have more performance. I totally agree with 2door.

If you're looking for something to commute, I'd get a gas bike. 2 or 4 stroke, doesn't really matter. If you're handy, you can modify the muffler to make it quieter. If you don't need much range and just want something to play with, go electric, but it'll cost you.