New Dude From Atlanta

GoldenMotor.com

Nopedaling

Jul 11, 2014
Atlanta Ga
Hey guys I used to ride my bike 20 Miles one way to work on a Walmart road master bike since I have a Dui and my friend Showed me her Motorized bike so I had to have one :D My motor is on the bike and was running great, I Gpsed it at 34 mph and have clocked 89 miles on it so far riding with my friend but now Im having problems with my chain tensioner sliding over into my spokes and for some reason when I do have my tensioner on right it only goes 23mph on flats now.. any idea why its slower now? I have swapped spark plugs from the china lp to the ngk b6hs gapped at 0.28 since i have fouled that plug with the 16:1 ratio of break in oil. Its currently on a 32:1 ratio of oil now and i was wondering if I can go ahead and switch to 50:1 with a lucas semi synthetic 2stroke oil??

Is it okay to take the tensioner off if I remove a few links from my chain? Was also wondering about the pinion gear for the clutch since the teeth on it are shredded to bits! Is that a common occurrence with these 66cc motors?

Attachments

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
We all have or had problems with the kit chain tensioner. In fact we have all had problems with just about everything that comes with the engine kits. Long story short everything in the kits is junk, sometimes the engine too. Replace the tensioner with an after market component or don't use one at all.
The pinion gear on the clutch? I assume you mean the engine drive gear. If so It should last a good long time. Check to make sure your drive sprocket and rear sprocket are lined up. Pics are always helpful.
I don't even buy the kits anymore, I just buy an engine and fill in the rest with quality after market components or make custom components. If ther is anything I can do just drop me a line.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
First welcome to the forum, I'm right down the road in Newnan. As Mass drive said pictures of a problem or situation will always help. Talking about the clutch gears are you having problems with the small gear or the large one? Both are available from most of the vendors on the sides of this forum or eBay. A lot of people have made chain tensioners that mount on the two frame rails, having a top and bottom mount looks like a fix for a moving tensioner.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
" Was also wondering about the pinion gear for the clutch since the teeth on it are shredded to bits! Is that a common occurrence with these 66cc motors? "

Not sure what part you're talking about here. If you mean the gears on the right side of the engine I'd have to ask if you have lubricated them. It only takes a dab of grease spread around a little. Too much and it will end up in the clutch.

If there is wear of the gear teeth check to see how they mesh with the secondary gear. Watch for wobbles or an 'off center' condition of the small gear.

If you can run without a tensioner, do it. If you have horizontal drop outs and you have chain to frame clearance you don't need the tensioner. There is also the option of shimming the engine mounts for chain tension adjustment if the bike does not have horizontal drop outs.

There are many pages of discussion here about the infamous 'tensioner' and ways to secure it or options. Try this > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...j14#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best tensioner&gsc.page=1

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thats Awesome I plan on riding out to peachtree city since they have some awesome cart trails.

Heres the gear im talking about.
"shredded". That's a good way to put it.
I'll repeat my question. Did you lube those gears? Have to checked for proper gear mesh and the way the small gear rotates and engages the secondary gear?

Something is way wrong there, sir. That isn't normal. I've seen primary gears that were not concentrc with the shaft and drilled at an angle that allowed them to wobble and not mesh with the big gear as it is supposed to do.
No lubrication will also destroy gear teeth.

Tom

Nopedaling

Jul 11, 2014
Atlanta Ga
I Have not lubed anything but the chain. My friend is also having problems with her gear also since it had a crack in it and Shattered. Is the gear supposed to be able to come out a little if you pull it?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sorry you had to find out the hard way about the lack of grease on kit engines. This is why we suggest tearing down and checking things before running a engine. in and out motion could just be crankshaft movement in the bearings, if its a small amount that's OK. When you replace the gear check the crankshaft for wobble, I hope you had a bad gear or the lack of grease was the problem and not a bent crank. Looking at the wear on the gear you probably have wear on the clutch gear as well.

Last edited:

Nopedaling

Jul 11, 2014
Atlanta Ga
I honestly think that the gear was of really low quality but I have ordered 4 from bikeberry just in case I have this problem again. What kind of grease should I get? Gonna be going to autozone tomorrow to get a spark plug since I would like an iridium tip(NGK Bpr7hix)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Any good bearing grease will suffice. Wheel bearing grease will work. There's no need for high cost, high temperature lubricant. Just make sure it is grease, not oil. Anything out of an aerosol can won't be heavy enough.

I wouldn't waste money on that irridium plug unless you don't plan to replace it for a hundred thousand miles. They are designed for high milage, not performance. It won't make any difference in how that little engine runs. It will just cost you several times what a standard plug will cost and not deliver anything you'll be able to notice, except maybe a placebo effect.

Tom