seemed slipping clutch, actually missing woodruff sheer key on main output sprocket

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
seemed slipping clutch, actually missing woodruff shear key on main output sprocket

the title says it all really, but the details is:

the clutch would grab enough to start sometimes, engine sounded sound fine, but when engaged no forward movement

i suspected slipping/worn clutch pads, but i adjusted them until i could not disengage the clutch. still no engagement. vexing

I checked the other side of the housing, the lever side. the nut the same size as the sparkplug was loose/off. this allowed the woodruff key ( shear key ) to be flung out. the output shaft was spinning ineffectively inside the chain sprocket.

i had to make a new shear key, since nothing i found fit every dimension. i forgot to measure it with my calipers befor i put it in, but it is surprisingly diminutive. and because it is small, heat affects its size while grinding, i wound up with a tiny half moon about .096" thick x 1.7" x 1.7" (! x ? x ?)

i installed the key and the sprocket. i partially reinstalled the nut. then i put the chain back on to use the wheel for leverage to complete the installation.

i removed the nut, rebent the locknut, which had been squished (squashed?) flat, and applied blue locktite before cranking the nut down

wuz mysterious, til i had time to check it out.

seems great now. makes me leery of getting too far from home base though.

no pix, sorry

also: in parts drawings i did not see this key listed :confused:

i found the topic easily once i knew the answer...
hence my title

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: seemed slipping clutch, actually missing woodruff sheer key on main output sprock

As long as your home made woodruff key fits snug in the key ways of the shaft and sprocket you should be good. Any slop, loosness could cause the key to sheer again.
Were the key ways still in good shape or did they show signs of wear/damage?

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Re: seemed slipping clutch, actually missing woodruff sheer key on main output sprock

These keys are best hand fit anyway since the keyway sizes are all over the map. Tight is better than loose.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

look carefully for the old key - the factory sometimes forces them out the back when putting on the clutch and the key is hiding behind a gear waiting to jump out and screw something up

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

look carefully for the old key - the factory sometimes forces them out the back when putting on the clutch and the key is hiding behind a gear waiting to jump out and screw something up
Exactly...this happened on my first build the key was behind the large gear.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois

Sorry to jump in fellas but i have a question about woodruff keys while this subject is hot. How many keys does this motor have? When i pulled the clutch off i saw a keyway on the shaft and a notch on the large gear. Unless the key sticks out like a sore thumb i dont notice it offhand. Its supposed to only come out when you take the shaft out, correct? Thanks everyone

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

there are 4, one on each end of each shaft

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois

Can you seem them sticking out or are they jammed further inside the shaft just out of eyes reach? My clutch works i just wanted to know for future work just in case i have to replace seals or something. Thanks again guys. I would recommend this site to anyone with an MB. Everyone has taught me something.flg.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

most of the time, you can't see the key until you remove the part that it is holding (clutch, drive sprocket, crank gear, mag rotor)

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com

thanks for all the great replies

JA - i think the concept you need is: the sprocket and output shaft share one key. it sticks into them both and so makes them act (spin) like one piece.

the nut merely holds the key/sprocket assembly in alignment, so the assembly can do its thing.