What brand of bench vise do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm shopping for a replacement vise or maybe two as I finish re arranging my shop, I prefer Wilton or Yost but was wondering if any of the vises from Lowes or home depot etc were used. I know the quality of some are not that good.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have a medium sized Wilton on the work bench and a small Dunlap on a pedestal that I use on the patio or back yard.
I also have some no name medium sized China one with a rotating head that I quickly learned to hate. The head slips and rotates if you bear down hard or use a hammer on the work piece. That vice now lives on the floor, used only for welding or as a dead weight.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mine doesn't have a brand name and I've had it so long I don't even remember where I got it. It has taken a beating over the years though. It rotates, like GearNut's, but it doesn't move if you dog down on the levers. It's blue, and opens to 8", and has a built in anvil for beating on things. That's all I know.

One hint for anyone unfamiliar with mounting a vice on their bench is to clamp something in it that extends below the edge of the bench before drilling mounting holes. That way you can clamp long stuff in it and the bench won't interfer with your work. In other words make sure the front of the stationary jaw is even with or extends out past the edge of your bench.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This is one of the vises I use at work, it is indestructible. I have beat on things on the anvil with a three pound hammer!

Attachments

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Yeah 2Door a 6 or an 8 inch wilton is about the best you can get.
But the price has sure gone up on them.

If you can't fix it with a big hammer it's got to be an electrical problem.
buzzard

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have an antique Wilton too. My buddy James makes crossbow prods and rapier blades for medieval reenactors. When he located another which better-suited his work (something about the jaws) he gave me his. Just gave it to me! Must be good, I haven't managed to hurt it yet.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
This is another Wilton vise and I use the C clamps from Harbor Freight medium size to attach work bench top edge. I have a couple of USA made real big all metal C clamps, but have had no problem with the HF ones, knock wood!

I'd never by masking tape or an arbor for a die grinder from HF. Tape sticks to itself you cant use and the wobble of the arbor the same. Hey just learning to keep the receipts and wished I lived closer to the place not to waste gas returning stuff.

The vise I think I bought at some discount store ages ago and is not perfect like a Leatherman Tool, but always works fine over probably 20 years or more!

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Whatever you do, don't but a HF vise, they're made from cast iron "foam" and will crack and fall apart if tightened hard or used as an impromptu press. I'm using an Ace Hardware branded swivel vise right now because it has a lifetime warranty and so far has been an excellent product. For quality vises, older is usually better, but if you gotta buy new you get what you pay for.