Earthquake in New Zealand today.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9629660/6-3-quake-rattles-lower-North-Island

We felt a slight shaking here, but the Hauraki District is a long way from where the earthquake was centred. My older sister who lives in Taihape which is a lot closer to the epicenter telephoned me to say that they were fine. They'd had a lot more shaking, but no damage.

I'm much more concerned about the approaching tropical cyclone that's supposed to reach here by tomorrow. We've had two days of stinking hot humid weather so we knew something was likely to happen. At the moment the sky is heavy with cloud and very dark and the wind is getting up. Usually we're sheltered by the Coromandel Ranges when we get an easterly storm, but it looks like we still might get a pasting.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I lived through the Northridge quake and I can tell you first hand there no fun. I was bruised from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and every where in between. Between the earth quakes and the tropical cyclones I hope you stay safe.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you're not in the quake zone but batten down the hatches for that blow.
I used to live in south Florida, grew up there and survived a few hurricanes. Just big wind storms, unless you get one like Andrew.
Keep your head down and please stay safe.

Tom

Getmore

Oct 12, 2013
Florida
Hope all goes well with the storm. Hope you can keep us up to date and not loose power. Living in Florida I know how the storms can get. Good luck.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was hoping that you missed the earth quake. I had a map up of N.Z. last night trying to find where you lived and where the quake hit and you seemed far enough away to be fairly safe.
Now if the cyclone will just co-operate life can go on.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have a friend on the Isle Of Skye, and they are bemused at the rest of the world and hurricanes. NW Scotland has storms like that often enough to have developed the right architecture and a resignation to the weather.

We had a very small earthquake about 10 years ago, centred on Dudley, a few miles off. One of those with the headline: "small earthquake, a few people were woken up".

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thank you very much for your good wishes and concern guys. Looking at the satellite weather map here at midday the storm seems to have moved away out to the east and apart from some fairly ordinary rain this morning that seems to be that. Last night though the wind was very strong with some thunder and lightning, but strangely we didn't get anything like the rain I thought we would.
For a change our cat slept inside last night and she needed no persuading to stay indoors. Normally she's very much an outdoor cat and never wants to stay indoors for very long. Last night though it was, 'Look at me I'm a housecat'.

My daughter does software development from here at home and last night she decided to shut down the dual Xeon IBM server that runs our household network because we were getting sudden periodic brown outs due to the high winds. Everything runs off a UPS, but my daughter was worried that with the sudden on again off again load the UPS's mysterious internal workings might be put under too much strain.
All is fine now though and now the the server has been booted up again I'm back on line to tell you all about it :D

According to the Met service New Zealand is going to get more of these storms coming to visit. Once upon a time most tropical storms tended to miss us, but with the shift in global weather patterns they will be coming right at us, This one, Tropical Cyclone June, had degraded somewhat by the time it got here, but we haven't always been so lucky. One storm, I think it might have been Wilma, totaled my brand new kitset glasshouse that I'd only just assembled. I'm not that much of a gardener anyway, but at least with my own little glasshouse i thought I could at least pretend to be one (sigh).

Looking around outside this morning there didn't seem to be much damage at all in the neighbourhood which certainly is a good thing. All the local trees were still upright which is a good thing too because I like trees and don't like seeing them uprooted and lying there awaiting the chainsaw and a short lived future as firewood.

The earthquake boffins say we're likely to get aftershocks for some weeks yet and the on-line earthquake map was showing lots of low level activity this morning. Just so long as it stays low level, because after the Christchurch earthquake in 2011 that severely damaged most of the city us Kiwis tend to be a little more nervous these days about the ground starting to shake.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm glad all went well. Here's hoping it stays that way.

I've only experienced a few moderate earthquakes. Gentle enough that I wasn't particularly frightened. But for the Earth to actually move under your feet really is a surreal experience.

I remember my first one. That was in San Francisco, but I was a recent transplant from Michigan. I was in a wood-framed building that wasn't all that much more elaborate than a barn or garage. When the shaking started I thought nothing of it because I was entirely used to buffetting winds shaking buildings like that.

About the time it was dawning on me that I was in a different part of the world with different types of wind behavior, plus the fact that it hadn't been a windy day, I noticed one of my co-workers looking at me with eyes about the size of dinner plates.

I don't remember which, but one of us asked, "Is this an earthquake?"

And I don't remember if the other answered. Probably not. We were running for the door by then.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I have a friend on the Isle Of Skye, and they are bemused at the rest of the world and hurricanes. NW Scotland has storms like that often enough to have developed the right architecture and a resignation to the weather.
Well, the fact that THERE ARE NO TREES THERE might have something to do with it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I love earthquakes. They're magnificent. Awesome in their power and depth.

Good for making you realize just how small and insignificant you really are.

The ground is shaking and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I hate earthquakes. There scary as he**. Terrible in there power. Good for destroying people and places. The ground is breaking every thing even me and there was nothing I could do about it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"I love earthquakes. They're magnificent. Awesome in their power and depth.

Good for making you realize just how small and insignificant you really are.

The ground is shaking and there isn't a thing you can do about it. "-----Mike B

"I hate earthquakes. There scary as he**. Terrible in there power. Good for destroying people and places. The ground is breaking every thing even me and there was nothing I could do about it."----oldtimer54

I love it! A bit of yin-yang here.

Earthquakes propagate in waves, of course. And there's just got to be a good joke here on wave-particle duality.

But my brain's too puny to think of it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Shortly after I moved to CA, the Executive Vice President of Marketing visited our small office and was in the middle of his glorious stuffed shirt speech full of the latest and greatest plans from above.

Yup, the earth started moving. He stopped speaking and turned white as a ghost. The local boss said "earthquake" and I throughly enjoyed it. The guy thought his time was up. Oh crap, I'm gonna die.

It was a nice one, about a 5.5. Strong enough to make you feel it good, weak enough that zero damage was done. Except to gasbag's ego. It was great!

When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. There I was, net worth 3 grand and thinking "this is really cool"

There he was, net worth 3 million and scared speechless, pale as a ghost. All your money don't mean squat now does it? Ain't gonna help you now.

I look forward to them. Sometimes I miss one as I'm driving and the car suspension soaks it up. I hate it when that happens.

Hey, it's life in CA - :)

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Shortly after I moved to CA, the Executive Vice President of Marketing visited our small office and was in the middle of his glorious stuffed shirt speech full of the latest and greatest plans from above.

Yup, the earth started moving. He stopped speaking and turned white as a ghost. The local boss said "earthquake" and I throughly enjoyed it. The guy thought his time was up. Oh crap, I'm gonna die.

It was a nice one, about a 5.5. Strong enough to make you feel it good, weak enough that zero damage was done. Except to gasbag's ego. It was great!

When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. There I was, net worth 3 grand and thinking "this is really cool"

There he was, net worth 3 million and scared speechless, pale as a ghost. All your money don't mean squat now does it? Ain't gonna help you now.

I look forward to them. Sometimes I miss one as I'm driving and the car suspension soaks it up. I hate it when that happens.

Hey, it's life in CA - :)
When one almost kills you you will feel differently.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Hay mike you don't really have to have a comeback for every post some times It works to drop it so I will besides I can see you don't get it. Live through a Northridge sized quake and that beats the shi* out of you and almost kills you THEN come back with something REAL and Ill reply other wise Later. Earthquake kill people and destroy life's there is nothing funny or fun about that. To think other wise is to say the least very strange to me. It just blows my mind how some people get there jolly's Peace

Last edited: