Interesting!

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That's 'ring around the arse' worthy......and one leg that's still asleep.........:D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My eyes are tired, My back hurts and I really, really gotta pee now but thanks anyway Steve. That held my attention better than anything for a long time.

What a great event and one every two wheel enthusiast should attend if just once.
Thank you for sharing with us. If that doesn't serve as some inspiration for some of our builders, nothing will.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Wow! - amazing, just absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting the link Steve.

I found the Roper steam bike really fascinating. I had to stand and salute the Britten motorcycle, but the Bert Munroe replica Indian was disappointing because Bert's bike were never as clean and shiny as that ever!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

There certainly is a wealth of inspiration there. If someone wants to do a clone of a bike this should help them out a lot. It was nice to see really good closeups of the Indian Camel Back.
Maybe there will be more builds because of this.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I.W.,

My pleasure entirely. I saw a few that triggered my interest and the Roper was one of them. I looked at the Bert Munro knock off and laughed for the same reason you did. From what I've read there was little chance it ever looked like that even from new.

I think that a copy of the Militare would be a worthy challenge. Made about 1916 by the Militare Motorcar Company in Buffalo, New York. The first time I ever saw a motorcycle with wooden wheels. The tricar with the fish/booze box is easily copied as well.

So many plans and so little time. Darn.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've always heard that BMW was Bavarian Motor Works (werks) but one of the early Beemers had a head badge that said, Bayer, not Bavarian. Anyone know the history of BMW and the name change? Or am I wrong about 'Bavarian'?

Tom

EDIT: Never mind. Bayerische Motoren Werke is the German spelling of Bavarian Motor Works

Somewhere they dropped the 'ische' on the end of Bayer. Maybe the head badge was too small :)

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Tom,

Just went on a Google hunt and this is what I found. BMW is properly called Motor Works of Bayer. Herr Bayer bought out Rapp Motorwerke a company who made aircraft motors in 1916. His company it seem was known as BFw and he had a sideline of building motorcycles. BFw became known as BMW and they built up the motorcycle line into a major part of thier business.

The Bayer on the bike must be from his early years.

Steve.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
And what about that Militaire motorcycle?? (Post 6-7 on the pashnit forum) What a wild and exotic piece of engineering! Google has NOTHING that I could find on this make of motorcycle!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was hoping to see an Arial (not sure of the spelling) Square Four. That's a rare bike and I had one when I was in high school. It was a basket case that a friend and I got running. What a beast. Four cylinders, two crankshafts in one case. Sounded like a small block Chevy.
In all those classic rare bikes, not one shown. Too bad. I'll do a little research and see if I can find something on it.

Tom

EDIT: Found lots of stuff > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Square_Four

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
See if you can get one of the early 500 or 600s with the ohc, blow some minds with it.