80cc that will not start

GoldenMotor.com

christianava12

Dec 18, 2008
San Diego CA
I have a RAW 80cc engine kit. Motor is mounted, chain is hooked up, clutch and throttle are hooked up, CDI is hooked up and wires connected, mixed fuel is in tank and in carb float bowl, spark is getting to spark plug. I will be pedaling and then release the clutch but it doesnt even sound like the engine is even trying to start. ANy Idea's???

Matt

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It the clutch slipping? Can you hear the sound of the engine, just not firing? Or does it just go SHHHHHhhhhh. when you release the clutch?

christianava12

Dec 18, 2008
San Diego CA
it just goes SSHHHHHHHhhhhh, I mean I definately feel the difference when pedaling as it gets much harder when I let the clutch out. ANy ideas? Are you thinking that the clutch is just slipping and not actually turning the motor?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think that's what he's thinking. Pull in the clutch and lock it. Pop off the clutch cover and remove the set screw. Give the flower nut a turn and give it a try. If you need to adjust more than that, do 1/4 - 1/2 turn at a time.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
before you start pulling covers off, its possible you have the clutch cable too tight. if thats the case, it will still roll a bit. try letting the cable out a little. the little brass piece down near the clutch arm.

christianava12

Dec 18, 2008
San Diego CA
Major improvement, The clutch "flower" nut was just to loose, I have got the engine running now. I think that I do have a little bit of chain alignment issues right now as the chain jumped off a couple of times but as soon as I moved the idler wheel it seemed to stop coming off. Right now it feels like I have a lot of vibrations which I think are because of a loose wheel bearing in the rear hub. My other problem right now is that I have no throttle control, I have tried to adjust the cable at both ends but it seems to make no difference, so the only way I could control the speed on a test drive down the street was with the choke.

Any ideas on that one?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The part on the carb end of the throttle cable that slides up & down in the top of the carb w/ you twist the throttle.