just put my top end back on but it wont start!!

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, i fixed my bike, running normal fuel,still got that leak in the carby though, but the bike isnt starting!, i checked if i had a spark and i had a bright one but it would only happen every like 6 strokes of the piston, so i think i might need to get a new spark plug, this spark plug was just sitting in this box for like a few weeks, does that matter? its an ngk b6hs, should i try the b5hs? thanks

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
What do you mean by leak in the carby? If you have an air leak on the intake tract it will not start. If you have a poorly sealed exhaust flange, it will also be a ***** to start.

just saw what you said about the spark.

try removing the magneto cover. carefully pull the arms of the magnets and make sure you do not have metal debris or anything in there causing a short. A friend blew out 2 cdi's due to a shorted winding in his magneto. Also, I've had issues of a short between the blue and black wire from hasty tape work.... something else to check!

the b6hs is fine. my fred motor came with one, i assure you they work!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Spark plugs don't go stale by sitting on a shelf. That is not the problem.
I agree with there being a wiring problem.
I recommend checking the spark plug boot first, especially if you are still using the kit supplied one. They are known for falling apart internally.
Next, check the connections between the mag and cdi. These should be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing or at least electrical tape.
Check the ground terminal for the black wire at the mag. They are known for being cold soldered onto the black wire which is a good looking but poor performing connection. Most need to be resoldered. Also,this terminal is simply installed underneath one of the mag mounting bolts. This connection needs to be clean of any and all paint or shellac between the wire terminal and the mag body which the factory never cleans before assembling.