Popped the carb: what now?

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
While riding today, I cracked the crap out of the neck on the carb:

oops.

So which carb is THE ONE to get? I've found two, the NT Gen. 2 and the CNS Speed carb. I know you guys don't like the CNS carbs but what's different about that one?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
While riding today, I cracked the crap out of the neck on the carb:

oops.

So which carb is THE ONE to get? I've found two, the NT Gen. 2 and the CNS Speed carb. I know you guys don't like the CNS carbs but what's different about that one?
The Speed carb is similar to the NT carb, not the CNS. You have the CNS there in the picture, with the two cables coming from the top, the others will only have one cable. The main difference is the NT/Speed carbs have one jet and an air choke on the air filter, the CNS carbs have a main jet, and idle jet and an "enrichment jet" which takes the place of the air choke.
The CNS has been billed as a "performance" carb, while many in the forum seem to hate it I am very happy with mine. I think it performs well but others think the NT/Speed carbs are better (mainly cause they tend to need some tuning). I've seen the CNS carb listed for some ridiculously high prices, like $60 bucks or more, if it comes down to that I would prob go with the cheaper NT or Speed carbs. Or perhaps instead of purchasing you could post in this forum and ask someone to give you their CNS carb that they replaced with an NT style, that seemed to be all the rage here for a while.
Having never run an NT or Speed carb I'm not the guy to recommend what is best in that arena. I purchased a Speed carb off Ebay and was gonna try it out, got it brand new but the slide is jammed up and doesn't move smoothly so I haven't messed with it (being happy with my CNS carb).
Hope this info was at least a bit helpful..

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The CNS hasn't been too bad, once I figured out some stuff. And either way, I just want something reliable that I can slap back on and ride. I was originally going to take the bike to a hot rod show by my house thursday, but that's out of the plan now that this has happened. lol

This is the NT:
http://www.gasbike.net/bike_motor_part_carburetor-gen-2.html

And this is what they are billing as the CNS Speed carb:
http://www.gasbike.net/skyhawk-cns-nt-high-performance-carburetor.html

I kinda wanna get a whole new throttle assembly though since mine is busted.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just know someone is going to suggest that you JB Weld it back together. Don't!

There'll be other car shows. Order a new carburetor and be done with it. Personally I've tried a couple of different carbs with mixed results. I keep going back to the venerable NT which seems to perform well for me at my altitude of 6000' MSL. They are simple and easily tuned and unless you're going for all out top speed will serve you well. They only ask for clean fuel so filter it well.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I just know someone is going to suggest that you JB Weld it back together. Don't!

There'll be other car shows. Order a new carburetor and be done with it. Personally I've tried a couple of different carbs with mixed results. I keep going back to the venerable NT which seems to perform well for me at my altitude of 6000' MSL. They are simple and easily tuned and unless you're going for all out top speed will serve you well. They only ask for clean fuel so filter it well.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Tom
Oh, don't worry, I was going to shut down whoever would tell me that. lol
JB Weld has its place, but not on major engine parts IMO. lol
I've seen all the rave reviews of the NT, but I can't find any other parts online to convert to NT from CNS. I'm almost tempted to get another CNS variant so I can get a new throttle assembly, but I kinda like that thought of not having to ticker with another carb. argh.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The CNS hasn't been too bad, once I figured out some stuff. And either way, I just want something reliable that I can slap back on and ride. I was originally going to take the bike to a hot rod show by my house thursday, but that's out of the plan now that this has happened. lol

This is the NT:
http://www.gasbike.net/bike_motor_part_carburetor-gen-2.html

And this is what they are billing as the CNS Speed carb:
http://www.gasbike.net/skyhawk-cns-nt-high-performance-carburetor.html

I kinda wanna get a whole new throttle assembly though since mine is busted.
IDK how you get "SPEED" carb from that second link, for that matter IDK why they refer to it as the "SkyHawk CNS NT High Performance Carburetor" either. Its a CNS carb, not an NT carb or SPEED carb. The Speed carb does exist, but its more similar to the NT carb, neither are related to the CNS carb. Again, the CNS carb has two cables and the NT and Speed carbs have one cable.
As for your throttle, I am using a metal mini bike type throttle instead of the plastic throttle that came with the kit. Search ebay or amazon and you should find something of better quality. I'm pretty sure if you change from CNS to NT or Speed carb you are going to have to adjust the throttle cable length anyways, so change the throttle and carb at the same time to avoid doing it twice.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
IDK about JB weld, those guys who want to JB Weld everything trip me out a bit... But I think you could probably pull the mounting screw out of your broken carb and fashon a metal hose clamp around the carb to hold it in place and might be able to ride it a bit while you wait for your new carb to come....

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
IDK how you get "SPEED" carb from that second link, for that matter IDK why they refer to it as the "SkyHawk CNS NT High Performance Carburetor" either. Its a CNS carb, not an NT carb or SPEED carb. The Speed carb does exist, but its more similar to the NT carb, neither are related to the CNS carb. Again, the CNS carb has two cables and the NT and Speed carbs have one cable.
As for your throttle, I am using a metal mini bike type throttle instead of the plastic throttle that came with the kit. Search ebay or amazon and you should find something of better quality. I'm pretty sure if you change from CNS to NT or Speed carb you are going to have to adjust the throttle cable length anyways, so change the throttle and carb at the same time to avoid doing it twice.
Good point. IDK where I got it from either. :oops:

Minibike throttle sounds nice, but I want to get everything from one place. I might just get another CNS and just switch the lids over.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Good point. IDK where I got it from either. :oops:

Minibike throttle sounds nice, but I want to get everything from one place. I might just get another CNS and just switch the lids over.
Like I said before, post a CNS carb wanted post here and I bet people will throw them at you. From what I have read in the forum about the CNS carb people love to hate 'em....

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Like I said before, post a CNS carb wanted post here and I bet people will throw them at you. From what I have read in the forum about the CNS carb people love to hate 'em....
lol
I'm sure. I don't mind mine, it runs a tad lean, but it's alright.

I still go 35 on it. :D

It likely wouldn't be wise to post my address would it? Otherwise I'd likely get 100 CNS carbs. rotfl

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
lol
I'm sure. I don't mind mine, it runs a tad lean, but it's alright.

I still go 35 on it. :D

It likely wouldn't be wise to post my address would it? Otherwise I'd likely get 100 CNS carbs. rotfl
Don't take that the wrong way, I ride a CNS V2 carb and am very happy with it. If and when mine takes a crap I will probably turn to the forum and ask if someone that switched to the NT has a CNS to send to me. As for posting address, I would probably sus out your offers and then exchange info in a private message rather than posting too much personal info in public, you never know what kind of nut jobs or criminals might be out there looking for info like that to exploit...

PS, if you are running a bit lean perhaps adjust the float so it holds a little higher fuel level in the bowl, that tends to richen the mix up.....

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Don't take that the wrong way, I ride a CNS V2 carb and am very happy with it. If and when mine takes a crap I will probably turn to the forum and ask if someone that switched to the NT has a CNS to send to me. As for posting address, I would probably sus out your offers and then exchange info in a private message rather than posting too much personal info in public, you never know what kind of nut jobs or criminals might be out there looking for info like that to exploit...

PS, if you are running a bit lean perhaps adjust the float so it holds a little higher fuel level in the bowl, that tends to richen the mix up.....
Oh, I fully understand that.

But it would be humorous to do you something that DOESN'T like CNS.

I have adjusted the float, and the e-clip. That helped MAJORLY. It's just a TAD on the lean side, barely even noticeable most of the time.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dodge, we strongly discourage posting personal information on the forum. As NC said, you don't know who is lurking out there and we have no control over them. Unless they spam :) Those guys don't even get a chance to post here.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Dodge, we strongly discourage posting personal information on the forum. As NC said, you don't know who is lurking out there and we have no control over them. Unless they spam :) Those guys don't even get a chance to post here.

Tom
Oh, I know. I was just poking fun anyhow.

I always laugh at the desperate folks that throw caution out the window on DodgeForum and post their email and sometimes phone numbers out in an open thread.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Where can I get the same throttle cable as the NT uses? No one sells an NT/throttle combination...
I'm pretty sure they're very easy to find. More bikes use NT carbs than CNS. The throttle handle is the same with either carb. Only the cable is different. If I were you I'd buy a couple of 5mm jets too. 68 and 66.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I'm pretty sure they're very easy to find. More bikes use NT carbs than CNS. The throttle handle is the same with either carb. Only the cable is different. If I were you I'd buy a couple of 5mm jets too. 68 and 66.
Found the cable at my supplier. They all have the little end on them right? Regardless of whether they are CNS or NT? What do you think about the regular NT carb? All carbs have the needles and sliders in them, right?

Sorry if these seem elementary, but I want to make sure I am getting everything I need. I have a bad rap with not ordering everything right the first time. lol

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Found the cable at my supplier. They all have the little end on them right? Regardless of whether they are CNS or NT? What do you think about the regular NT carb? All carbs have the needles and sliders in them, right?

Sorry if these seem elementary, but I want to make sure I am getting everything I need. I have a bad rap with not ordering everything right the first time. lol
All the carbs come complete. Nothing wrong with a NT. I like the Speed better myself, but there isn't much difference. A Speed is about 2mm bigger.

The NT and Speed use the same throttle cable, but the cable for a CNS is different, and won't work on a NT or Speed carb.

NT and Speed carbs both use 5mm jets, but the CNS uses 6mm jets.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
All the carbs come complete. Nothing wrong with a NT. I like the Speed better myself, but there isn't much difference. A Speed is about 2mm bigger.

The NT and Speed use the same throttle cable, but the cable for a CNS is different, and won't work on a NT or Speed carb.

NT and Speed carbs both use 5mm jets, but the CNS uses 6mm jets.
Gotcha on the differences.

This is the only line my supplier has:
http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-part-accelerograph-line-throttle-line-2386-prd1.html

(I dislike gasbike but my dad doesn't like switching companies, long story as to why he's buying the parts)

It's not possible that I would LOSE power by going to an NT vs sticking with a CNS due to throttle body or jet size, would it?