Can I vent about my centrifugal clutch/pullstart?

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK. I have a 66cc Chinagirl, on a mountain bike, SBP shift kit. Everything works great. Finally got it tuned, and all was well.

Then I got stupid and greedy, and wanted more. I started with the pullstart and centrifugal clutch. It was hard to find through these vendors, so I just e-bayed them, BGF and some other thing, and they were at my house in 3 days (wow, right?).

OK, so the pullstart took about 3 minutes to install, and all was good. The Centrifugal clutch on the other had is giving me problems. Well, not really giving me problem, it's just that I thought I had a clutch puller, and I didn't. I had a crank puller, and something else I don't remember what I used it for.

So, anyways, I'm upset about the dog-gone clutch not being installed, so I figured I'd just take a ride around my neighborhood with the new way to start the bike. I yank on the pull start, and the bike doesn't want to start because it's really cold. So, I yank again, and third time is the charm, then....

The pull start cord is in my hand, about 8 feet off the ground. YEP, I yanked the darn thing straight off the bike.

So, now, I am really upset. I ended up just putting the bike to stock form, and putting it back in the garage (and I'm very upset about it).

ANyways, I just wanted to vent for a minute. Thanks guys!!!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The bike will pedal start with the centrifugal clutch. Mine does. I kept my manual clutch operational after installing the cent clutch to make pedal starting easier.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Wheelbender, You're right. I know it will, I just wanted the pull starter for my wife to ride, too.

But, I'm upset because after all that time, my bike was exactly like it was the morning before.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My pull start tore up before I ever got it mounted. That's how I found out that I could pedal start with the cent clutch.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had read about a mod you could do to make them more sturdy. The recoil spring popped out while I was tinkering with it. I never got it back in.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Hey, quick question.

When installing the centrifugal clutch, you had to grind away the three protruding studs from the clutch plate, do you have to take the beveled washer locking bolt (the one with the holes that locks the clutch with a screw) off? It's rubbing on the new casing for the clutch.

Also, I'm leaving my clutch cable, Is there anything I need to do before I adjust it for the first time?

Any info will help.

Thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Since I planned to keep the manual clutch functional, I did not grind down the posts. I ground the inside of the new engine case for clearance. it took quite a while.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I also found out the pull start is wonderful if you have installed the centrifugal clutch.They're terrible to start without centrifugal clutch they're more likely to break.

Joel G.

May 2, 2012
Guam
Grinding the posts on the manual clutch makes it inoperable ? Anyone? I just installed the automatic clutch, act like it wants to turn over but then seems to freeze up? Is this from grinding those three manual clutch pegs down? Also when I pull in clutch handle everything seems to work as normal.. Just having a difficult time figuring out why its not smoothly turning engine over, as if too much compression?? Please reply anyone.