Performance parts question...

GoldenMotor.com

BikeNewberry

Dec 2, 2012
Kingsburg, CA
xct2'Nother question for everyone...seeing as how I'll be replacing most of the components that are already included with the 2-stroke engine kit with either performance versions or better quality versions...would it be wiser to just order the parts piece-by-piece, or break the engine in 100% factory stock and slowly add performance parts and replace low-quality components with better ones?

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I add as much performance parts as you want prior to running the engine.
Everything is cleaner and it makes it easier on you cause you don't have to re-tune the engine every time something is changed

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
OTOH, you won't know if your parts are increasing performance if you don't have a 'stock' benchmark for comparison. You also might be able to go back to known running condition if a part seems not to work.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Get it running stock, break it in well, tune it for best performance. Only then can you add parts and measure performance improvement. You need a baseline to measure from.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Adding so called "performance parts" is something better left until after the engine is broken in, and properly.

Trying to up performance before you even known how the engine performs is just asking for trouble. Burn at least a few gallons of fuel, about 200 miles worth before changing anything. Then you'll know what you might need in the way of help.
The biggest problem with these "high performance, "speed" parts is that they are questionably helpful and can add to the performance issues that you'll undoubtedly have until the engine has run a few miles and you've checked spark plug color and seen what your engine is asking for.
Run it stock and wait before wasting your money.

Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I found the aftermarket stock parts to be of a *much* higher quality that what comes on the motors. Gaskets and rings for sure. I wore out 2 sanding drums on my Dremel matching a bgf exhaust gasket to the port. It's steel reinforced just like a good American exhaust gasket.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I hope it works for you. I've had several where the white filler material falls out from vibration - been sealing them with hi-temp silicone to try to keep it inside.