BGF Z280 blk

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I just need a lot of help.I have tried 2 different carbs nt and a speed nt,and replaced magneto side seal right off the bat from day one.I'm having idling issues it's idling higher than I like,so I turned the idle screw to idle it down nothing happens.I sealed the intake gasket with seal all and the carbs to intake with rtv gas and oil resistance.I also checked the carbs the make sure the slide was going all the way down.The throttle cable moves freely that I'm a ware of.I also took off the adjustment throttle cable nuts and screw the cable all the way in at both ends.Where I'm at now is the engine Idles good at first as it warms up it goes higher but it stays there like it's at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle so it's really doesn't race high,but higher then I like.Any suggestion or ideas what to try would help.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If your slide is backing down all the way, I'd have to guess you still have a vacuum leak somewhere? Use some WD-40, water or something to determine that for sure you have no more vacuum leaks.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have sprayed every where but the seals I didn't want do spray anything on the magneto or near the clutch pads so what should I do now.I replaced one it has no oil gas mix leaking like it did on first start.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
update I found the air leak it was a stripped intake stud,and also added a o ring to nt speed carb,now it won't idle at all tried adjusting idle screw it will idle if I really turn it up but not at a normal level idle.Should I adjust the needle c clip up one because when the air leak it had better throttle response.Any Idea's ?

Last edited:

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I'm at sea level and have 3 of those engines... I have the needles at the leanest setting and have smaller jets too...... Now that you have no air leak your probably too rich....

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
needle should work for idle from my understanding. I have an air leak issue too, motor revs stupid high when idling, but riding it's fine. I should fix it, but I'm in no hurry, I just actuate the clutch to control revs, I know it's gunna wear it out, but again, not in a big hurry. My only option outside of finding the leak is adjusting the main jet, I have the Dax RT carb (Dellorto clone), which doesnt have a needle to adjust.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That happen to me when I first got this motor I had to use a different throttle handle and grip because it was too high idle and also took the adjusting nuts off on both ends of the throttle cable to get the idle some what down,but now have them back on...

Last edited: