Friction v.s. Chain

GoldenMotor.com

AndyBernard

Jul 20, 2008
I have a question about Friction v.s. Chain Drives. I live in the mountains of Georgia and was looking at a Honda GX35 to make a friction drive for my bike and figured on the hills that would be harder I could help by pedaling. I was also curious about the chain drive and how much more power that it can distribute and if it would be the better choice for the mountains.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Either one will allow you to help the motor out by pedaling. A friction drive is more likely to slip under extreme load, so chain drive would be my personal choice for mountains. Plus friction drives can slip in dusty or wet conditions.

I've never used a friction drive though, this is just what little information I've gathered by reading for a while. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm completely mistaken.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I use both and will admit for a hilly area I would go with belt or chain drive. My friction drives are fun to build and great to get a little exercise but If I am going to the store which as a couple of nasty hills I wouldn't even consider using friction drive. Then again I built them maybe one of the commercial ones is better.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I set my tension up to slip. If not it bogs down and won't pick back up again. It does much better it if skips a little when on a big ole hill.