Oil question

GoldenMotor.com

txbike

Jun 18, 2008
I just finished my putting my 80cc engine on a Schwinn crusier. It runs great and I am on my first tank of gas. I used 2 cycle oil in the mix (16:1) that I bought at Lowe's. Do I always need to use 2 cycle oil or can I use motor oil? If so, what weight?
Thanks

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Only use two stroke oil. Target has good oil. They have Penzoil 2 stroke oil. My favorit. No reason to use regular motor oil unless you are in a third world country, and that is all you have. Just use two stroke engine oil. The stuff they sell at Wallmart is for boats, Autozone has some oil Valvoline 2 stroke. Just make sure your oil can be used on Air cooled engines. I use about 5 OZ per gallon. I use the oil at Target Penzoil 4oz then 1oz amsoil. For a grand total of 5 oz per gallon.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I used to use 30-32:1 mix of regular old 2 stroke oil. Now (thanks Paul) I just bought half gallon of amsoil saber 2 stroke. I'm gonna mix up a fresh batch of 3.2 oz (40:1) once my fuel is depleteted.

huntnfish08

Jun 21, 2008
Does anyone use Marvel Mystery Oil? Is it safe to use for premixing? If only a little, like nitro is using amsoil?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Adding MMO will only make your mix a bit oilier. You are better off adding Sea Foam to your already mix fuel once in awhile.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I've been trying to get an answer about this for a while. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil? I haven't fired my bike up and I would really like to know if this oil is ok before I put it in. Can someone please help a brother out?

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Thanks Pablo. I appreciate that. I was getting nervous about it since no one would tell me one way or another. One day I will work my way "up" to your stuff.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
30w oil will work but using a 2 stroke oil will work better at least that what the big boys say and I use the stuff for water cooled outboards and my engine doesn't know the difference but I do mix the stuff up in a seperate room so my engines can't see what they are going to get and I've tried a bunch of differant oils. These engines aren't jewelled watches but do need oil and it seems that 30 to1 or 32 to 1 works pretty good. I have used amsoil at 40 to 1 and my engine is still going strong.
My favorite (smells like a model airplane) oil that I've used is a syn oil with castor oil in it and it is for my 4-stroke racing kart. The oil is Cool Power oil heavy with castor and it will mix with alcohol its been sitting on the shelf so I thought what the heck it will work and smell good too by the way I mix that stuff at 32 to 1 in case your wondering.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK Norman it sounds like you have some running time under your belt, . . so let me ask you this;

I am about to crank up this Kings, 80cc and they recommend ;

During the break-in period (1st gallon of fuel)

Break in ratio for 80cc is; 20 to 1, Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil per gallon.

My figures show that as apx. 6.4 ozs, so what I want to get your advice on is, . . . .

I just got back from the marina, and have here Evinrude Johnson XD50 synthetic blend, the 100 was in gallons at around 40 something so I took the 50. It's a blue color.

What do you think, is this going to do it ?

I won't open it in case I need to take it back.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Outboard two stroke oil is different than air cooled two stroke oil.

It has to do with the way they are run more than whether they are air or water cooled.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
The guy asked if it was water cooled I said no, he didn't say anything negative, I mean it is like I guess ? 50% synthetic.
It covers specifics for TC-W3 certified oils, this I don't know about ?

Well shall I try it ?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In all likelyhood your engine should be fine...mix it at 20;1 for a tank then go to 24-36:1.

Don't forget to vary your throttle settings and engine speed often for a proper break-in. Don't be afraid to let it rev either.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I found this in article concerning ultra light air craft ;

" So, how do some oils claim to be multi-purpose or formulated for water and air-cooled engines? These oils have usually been formulated to meet the National Marine Manufacturers Association (N M MA) TC-WI I TM or TC-W3 TM specification. These specifications require the oils be tested under rigorous test conditions. An air-cooled engine test is part of these requirements."

Now, not taking it into direct context, what I have is not a multi purpose0, but considering specification requirements, it doesn't sound as if it will do me any harm ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
In all likelyhood your engine should be fine...mix it at 20;1 for a tank then go to 24-36:1.

Don't forget to vary your throttle settings and engine speed often for a proper break-in. Don't be afraid to let it rev either.
OK Bike Guy Joe, I give it a whirl !

Thank you !

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What type of oil is best or what type to use is best? This will turn into a pissing contest so I'll say I use what I have on hand and I also like to experiment a little so far I've not hurt any of my engines. I kind of lean towards a non syn oil for the first 20 to 30 oz. of fuel at 20 to 1. I then go to 32 to 1 still using non syn oil. I used walmart 2 stroke oil for outboards and I've used 2 stroke oil for air cooled just depended on what I was in the mood for or could afford that day or what happened to be there on the store shelf at the time. If I would have found the store to be out of 2 stroke oil I'd use 30 w engine oil at 32 to 1 I'm not too worried about tearing up one of these engines.
I like the syn oil that Pablo sells cause according to their oil it can be run at 100 to 1 so if you mismeasure it you shouldn't hurt your engine as long as you got it in the ballpark.
Now no oil will make for a sad day if you don't put in any oil. Things will get hot and stick really makes a mess of things, so then you will have to go buy a new engine or a least parts to fix the one you just fried. I know of one kart engine builder who used peanut oil in his alcohol fueled kart and it worked and smelled nice to boot. So use what you want with in reason if its for a 2 stroke you should be good to go.