Springer fork

GoldenMotor.com

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have noticed that my springer fork as more side to side wobble than it has before. I checked all the bolts and everything is tight. It pivots where the bolt goes through the spring. Does anybody know how to remedy this?

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I know you said it looks like the spring, but try tightening up the headset. Sometimes the headset works just a tad loose or just through wear and that little slack can make the fork wobble a bit. It doesn't take much slack to make for a big wobble. If it is the spring area, I have no clue. :oops: I'd like to get a springer fork for my PB, so I'll be looking in on this one. ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a springer on one of my bikes and it's still as tight as when new after nearly 800 miles. If you have assured that all the bolts are tight I'd also look at the head set, steering post etc. Examine your fork carefully for any cracks but above all...be very careful riding until you discover the reason for the loosness. You could get hurt if something fails at any speed. Check your bearings and look for loose spokes. All of these things can give you a wobble or loose feeling to the front end. Good luck but be careful, please.
Tom

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
On my springer...the bolt that goes through the spring has a very small set screw in it. If the spring has weakend or the rubber bushing has compressed, try giving the main bolt a couple of turns (look for the set screw first).

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Buy a old Schwinn springer with the heavy cast pivot!! They are very sturdy, with very smooth spring action, & don't have any side to side wobble!!!
There are pics of two bikes on my website that have them.
dnutdnutdnutdnut

Last edited: